Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beamjoy's quip about being a cat gender psychic, and how being a lottery number psychic would be more useful, made me think of this this.

What are random talents you have/things you're good at...that are completely useless? :)

Example: I can walk into a room and point out every visible spider within about 5 minutes (I'm terrified of them so I think I'm just always subconsciously looking for them).

I always joke that it's too bad I can't find some way to make any money off of this, because I'm great at it! But other than freaking me out, it seems to have no useful function. ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
This isn't useless, it often comes in handy...but still strange. I can cut an item (piece of paper, a large sheet cake etc.) in equal sized pieces by just eyeballing it. The problem is, I can't really cut things in random sizes...I have to think about it and work at it harder than to make perfectly matched pieces.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You know how people sometimes have saliva squirt out of their mouth from their salivary glands when they are eating? I can do that on command.

Yes, I know... gross.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You know how people sometimes have saliva squirt out of their mouth from their salivary glands when they are eating? I can do that on command.

Yes, I know... gross.
Sounds enchanting.

I don't know if this counts as a power or not, but if I just walk away from the computer to get a drink or use the bathroom, etc, I'll get back to the top of the stairs just as the screen saver kicks in. It happens almost every time. At first it weirded me out a little, but now it just makes me laugh.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can write perfectly with both hands at the same time. However. Right hand is normal writing, left hand is mirror image.

I always find a good parking spot. My husband says he never worries when I'm driving.

Likewise pretty useless in the grand scheme of things, when entering a restaurant & having to wait in the bar, I always end up standing behind the next people leaving.

When present at a drawing, I always know when I'm going to win. Win very seldom, but get an excited, here it comes feeling. Once I even pushed my chair back & told the person next to me I was winning. Spooked him when I did.

Wish we could channel these things!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am jealous of doodlebug. I can't cut anything straight or even. Just scary pieces. The family laughs. Of course on the good side I'm never asked to labor over someone else's pies or cakes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of my useless powers, I'm sure I'll come up with more later...

I'm a genius at recognizing no-name actors and naming which tv show, movie or commercial I had seen them in before.

But for some reason I suck at remembering people in real life.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I can find The Perfect Card for any occasion in under a minute, every time.

Hubby can exit roads/parking-lots making an un-controlled intersection L turn across traffic every time. I drive the long way around to reach intersections where lights or signs control the traffic. I do this because I almost *never* get breaks in traffic that allow me to safely pull out so I'd rather let the street-lights and stop-signs control traffic and GUARANTEE me an opportunity to drive and continue on my way.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
I am jealous of doodlebug. I can't cut anything straight or even. Just scary pieces. The family laughs. Of course on the good side I'm never asked to labor over someone else's pies or cakes.
The other downside is that I can also tell when a picture on a wall is a quarter inch off center or one end of the curtain rod is a hair higher than the other end etc.....and it drives me crazy.

·
Super Moderator
26,518 Posts
Awwww, we have our own Mr. Monk here. :grin:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The other downside is that I can also tell when a picture on a wall is a quarter inch off center or one end of the curtain rod is a hair higher than the other end etc.....and it drives me crazy.
I do the same thing. I can get something pretty level without a level.

I also can usually eyeball a piece of scrap fabric and can tell if it big enough for what I want to use it for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I probably could have used your gift when I was working my first job in high school. It was at Little Caesar's and we had just gotten a new store manager. Within months he had fired most of the old crew, including me. The reason? I cut a pizza slightly crooked...

That was a long time ago, and now he's the district manager. I've heard everybody hates him. A current manager told me last summer that he sometimes borrows other people's cars so he can sit in parking lots that are adjacent to stores and watch the employees with binoculars.

All this over crappy pizza.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This isn't useless, it often comes in handy...but still strange. I can cut an item (piece of paper, a large sheet cake etc.) in equal sized pieces by just eyeballing it. The problem is, I can't really cut things in random sizes...I have to think about it and work at it harder than to make perfectly matched pieces.
See, I would love t be able to do that! I work as an artist, and yet I am terrible at things like this. It's a nightmare any time I have to cut paper or trim prints and stuff since I have to actually measure out everything.

It'd come in handy with the cats too since I split cans between them and have a hard time always splitting it equally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts