Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to use a blender on my cat's organ meals (so blend a piece of meat with the piece of organ) would that destroy the nutrients in the organ making it fairly useless?

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
No. It exposes more surface area to the air, which denatures nutrients, but if you do it fast and freeze it, the loss won't be too much. It's better than not getting the organs (esp liver) into them at all, certainly!

Just re-read that -- so you're not just blending the organs, but the whole meal? Well, in that case, then yes, you need to be very careful and supplement w/ taurine, b/c there WILL be taurine loss in ground meat. Why do you want to do this? Also, how will they get bone, as a blender will not grind bone?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to blend them since the cat will not eat organs, especially liver (kidney he will sometimes eat a bit of). I hoped that if I blended the meat with the organ he would be unable to pick the organ out and not eat it (which is what he does now). I would only be blending meals that included organ (8 or so meals a week out of 14). Plain meat meals or bone meals would be left whole.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Nutrients will be lost through grinding, however, indications are that the amount is far less of a worry than not getting the organs/liver into the cat's diet.

If you need to feed a couple of ground meals a week, it's totally not the end of the world. :D

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Yeah -- a few is fine. Thought you meant you were gonna grind everything. :)

Have you tried feeding liver, etc. partially frozen? That got Lincoln over the hump. It's chewy that way instead of slimy and he ate it (small pieces). Eventually I quit doing the partially frozen thing and he kept eating it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts