Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Two days ago (Thursday morning), I was cleaning in the kitchen when I noticed Jd make two trips to the litter box within 10 minutes. Immediately it struck me as odd. I was out the entire day but I let my mom know what I had observed. When I got home that night she said that she, too, noticed Jd's frequent trips to the litter box. We monitored the litter and noticed he was not urinating. Sometimes he would pass only a few drops of urine. I went online to do a little research and found out that he was displaying symptoms of UTI, bladder stones, crystals, etc. Further, I found out that these symptoms are more concerning in male cats as they may potentially become fully blocked. So my mom and I discussed it and we took Jd to the vet right away on Friday morning. The vet administrated fluids so that they could collect a urine sample. They also did a x-ray to test for bladder stones. Jd did not urinate on his own so unfortunately they had to take a sample directly from his bladder. But when my mom picked him up, he must have been so relieved/excited (we still don't quite understand it) to see her that he relieved himself in the kennel! By the time they got home, Jd was drenched in his own urine! But when he returned home, he made almost 10 trips back and forth to the litter box within an hour. Later, he grew lethargic and hid underneath the bed overnight. We did not see him eat or drink. Fast forward to this morning (Saturday), I found him underneath the bed again but he was sleeping on his back, with his tummy out so I knew he couldn't have been too uncomfortable. A few hours into the day, he seemed to regain life and is now acting as if the past two days had never even happened! Today, he has urinated twice (regular-sized clumps) and has not been making frequent trips to the litter box. The vet phoned with the urineanalysis results which did not indicate any infections or crystals, nor did the x-ray show bladder stones. He suggested to continue with a blood test but my mom and I are weary of subjecting our poor Jd to unnecessary trauma. Regardless, we are stumped as to what just happened??? Its as if he miraculously recovered overnight! Although Jd seems to be fine momentarily, I am concerned of reoccurrences. What do you guys make of this?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
With no infection and no crystals, it sounds like interstitial cystitis (urinary tract inflammation of unknown cause). It is often brought on by stress and is actually much more common than UTI. I have a couple of cats who have had bouts of interstitial cystitis. One of my girls has a bout any time she gets upset. Hers typically lasts for a few hours, and then she's fine again. When Phantom had a bout, his lasted nearly a week, during which he was peeing drops of blood all over the house.

The best remedy I have found for interstitial cystitis is just to try to calm and soothe the cat ... or to try to redirect his attention to stress-relieving activities like active play.

I'm glad that Jd has recovered quickly. You were correct to get him to the vet quickly when you saw those symptoms, because males are prone to urinary blockages that can become life-threatening within a matter of hours. You must never assume that those symptoms are harmless and will pass on their own - esp. in a male.

Laurie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laurie, thank you for your input! This helps a lot, especially as our vet was stumped himself and suggested for further tests (ugh)!
I actually read about stress as one of the causes but I brushed it off, thinking that no cat is that sensitive! But now that you mention it, come to think of it, Jd is actually very shy and nervous. Stress is a good explanation for his case.
Thanks for all the information!
My only further concern is how would I stop a reoccurrence? After my frantic research on UTIs, I would never wish UTI upon anyone! It looks just horrible.

Diana

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Well, if it is stress-induced cystitis, the best remedy is just to keep Jd as happy as possible. Do whatever it is that makes him happy and relaxed: petting, brushing, playing, whatever. The happier and more stress-free he is, the less risk of repeated bouts of cystitis.

With my Phantom, his cystitis was triggered by his brother, Footsie's, mean behavior toward him. Phantom idolizes and adores Footsie, but Footsie gets very impatient with Phantom and bites him aggressively at times. This understandably upsets poor Phantom, who just wants his brother's love. But over the last few years, several kittens have been dumped here on my farm, and Phantom has struck up wonderful, playful relationships with them. Now that Phantom has buddies with whom he can roughhouse playfully and have fun, he no longer gets cystitis.

Remember, though, that UTI, crystals, and cystitis all have the same outward symptoms. Any time a male cat can't produce urine, for whatever reason, it is a medical emergency that requires IMMEDIATE veterinary treatment. Years before Phantom had his first bout of cystitis, he had a complete urinary blockage that would have killed him if I hadn't gotten him to the vet quickly. Don't ever take a wait-and-see approach when urinary symptoms occur.

Laurie

·
Registered
59 Posts
So sorry to heard about JD, hurricanediana, cystitis is a very painful ordeal when a flare-up happens :( My Lancelot was just diagnosed with it last month and it was very stressful for the both of us.

If he flares up again (or to prevent the next one), I'd definitely recommend putting him on a wet-food diet if he isn't on one already. A big issue with cystitis is inflammation of the bladder lining. The more wet food he gets, the more diluted the urine, the more urine that is passed, the less chance of a male kitty getting blocked and ending up in vet emerg. It's the #1 recommendation I've been given for cat UT problems. My kitty is currently on a mixture of EVO and Before Grain canned, both are grain free and vegetable-free, he loves them both! Adding extra water to wet food and making a soup is also beneficial to giving kitty extra moisture. Don't add water to dry food, it's prone to bacteria growth.

You may also have luck with Cosequin, or any supplement used for arthritis and joints. Their main ingredient is glucosamine, which is suppose to help with the bladder lining. Omega 3 fish oil is an anti-inflammatory, and could also be added to food. If Jd does happen to have another flare-up, ask your vet about anti-inflammatories for him for a few days. While they don't quicken the recovery, it'll easy the discomfort.

I hope he continues to feel better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts