Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the homeless cat crisis could be helped by implanting a GPS chip? I'm not too keen on implanting a pet. Are they really effective? Are there dangers?

·
Super Moderator
26,358 Posts
All of my girls are chipped. I believe all the cat adoption agencies and even the shelters here adopt out their cats now with chips.

Is it safe for my cat to have a foreign object inside her body?

Veterinarians have implanted microchips in animals for years and the process has proven to be very safe. The chip is made out of an inert, biocompatible substance, which means it won't cause an allergic reaction or degenerate over time.

·
Super Moderator
26,358 Posts
It's not a GPS system. :D Although, not a bad idea.....

If someone finds your cat, they can take them to a vet or shelter and scan your cat for a chip and if there is one, it'll have all your information on it so they can contact you.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Our brochure said the chip was the size of a rice grain, I have never felt it under Gracie's skin or anything. I think it is a good idea, especially if anyone is ever tempted to keep your kitty if he or she ever gets lost. It would be hard to pretend that a found cat is a feral kitty if there's a chip present...

Fran

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Murphy was chipped when we got him from the SPCA. I was told that if a vet scanned it, for example, they wouldn't be given our information -- they'd be given the number of a company that holds the information, and that company would give it to them. It reminds us to keep that company updated on our address and phone number changes if we have them!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Having worked in a vet hospital, I would DEFINATELY reccommended having pets chipped! If the chip is implanted by your vet, and the animal is taken to them if found, they can call you straight away but if the vet has no record of the number, they then contact another oganisation who will let you know that the vet has your pet & give you the vet details.. That's how it works in Aus anyway.. We used to get lots of strays in and the ones that were chipped, were returned to their owners within 24 hours. Without a chip, the pets are sent to the pound where they wait for the owners to look for them and after 2 weeks if they're not claimed, they're either pts or rehomed.
In some instances, we reunited people with pets that they had lost months ago and never thought they'd see them again..
It's important to make sure you keep your details up to date though.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Toby is all microchipped just in case he does a houdini and then loses his collar and ID tag whilst outside. It certainly helps to put ones mind at rest.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Peggy's been chipped. Lol at the idea of it being GPS. How awesome would that be :D

It doesn't harm the cat in the slightest, and it's a very very good idea, even if you don't let them outside.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Arianwen is chipped, too.
She's too sweet to have a chip on her shoulder, instead, she carries a chip between her shoulder blades. :)

The pet ID chip is basically a tiny radio transponder that transmits a unique identification number when keyed by the correct frequency. The number is linked to your information in a database kept by the company the chip is registered with.
It would be very cool for it to incorporate a GPS function, but I think the size of today's technology makes it impractical for implanting in a kitty. :wink:
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know about a cat being chipped but my dog is and he doesn't seem to notice it. I can feel it under his skin and his moved from around the back of his neck to around his shoulder, but they said that it will sometimes do that and its not a big deal. After he had it done i just had to go the website of that particular chip and fill out a registration form and i was done. It is really small a most of the time i don't notice its there. Plus unlike a collar your pet isn't going to lose it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts