Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on vacation with my family to Newfoundland for 3 weeks which I do every summer in a little over 2 weeks. The problem every summer is what do we do with the cat. We have done everything in the 4 years we've had her, she has stayed with my friend who gave her to me but she now has a dog which I'm not comfortable leaving her with because Smudge has never been with dogs, she has been with a few other friends, and last year was the worst of all, we boarded her at a kennel. I called every day to make sure she was doing good, which they said she was, meanwhile when we picked her up from the kennel she had fleas, huge matts stuck in her fur, her white feet were yellow, and it took her a month to get back to normal. So kennels are not an option, and I'm having a very hard time finding someone I'm comfortable leaving her with because everyone has dogs now.

She's a pretty shy cat unless its the family, has been known to hide for up to 8+ hours when furnace people come, and is scared of men and small children. She is fine with the family and is very much a suck up and will wake up from sleeping and follow me if I change rooms. Everyone keeps telling me to just bring her with us, but she's never been in the car for more than vet trips, which she has never gotten sick or used the bathroom in the car and I don't know how she would do for 2 and a half days driving, with a hotel and being on a ferry. The only bad car ride she has had was to the kennel where she was shaking, panting and snotting/drooling.

I'm really at a loss of what to do and with the date getting closer I need to figure it out. I don't know if I should bring her, and if I do how I should go about it, I know not to leave her loose in the car so she would either be crated or harness/seatbelted in. Or what to do with food and water and bathroom usage, we drive for around 12 hours, stop in New Brunswick to sleep and then drive to the boat (10 hours) and take it over night and then drive to the house which only takes 2 or 3 hours. It's really hard to find anyone to watch her in their home and my parents don't really want someone coming in our house. I'd really appreciate some help because I have 17 days to figure all of this out. :fust

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds to me like taking her with you would be too much stress for her. Have you considered hiring a pet sitter to come to your home while you're away? - probably needs to be a female sitter. Can your neighbors or neighbors' kids come look after her a few times a day?

·
Registered
518 Posts
In the past I have always had a neighbor come over and feed and check on the cats. I use my next door neighbor or a neighborhood teenager. I pay them a little bit and bring back something from the trip. The vacation I just got back from, I had a friend come over daily and check on the cats, I told her to feel free to hang out for a while and watch tv or whatever and spend some time. My cats would be much too stressed if I tried to take them anywhere or board them.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I would hire a pet sitter. Travelling is stressful for cats and not much fun. She'll be happier at home. Find someone who will come in twice a day to feed her, clean her LB, and play w/ her. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have but my parent's dont really want someone coming into our house when we're not there. And we aren't on a friendly basis with any of our neighbors and the ones we are we don't know them very well because they're new and their kids are toddlers. It's hard to find someone to watch her that doesn't have a dog, smaller kids or men and we don't live in the best area to use a advertised pet sitter or something from kijiji. The only person I've found so far that could come can only come once a day which wont work because she eats wet/dry mixed. No matter what we do really, she won't be a happy camper.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The only downside to the pet sitters/home-visitors is the expense, but the price is usually comparable to boarding. Here (Calgary) most are $25/visit (so it's really more economical to have them come once a day if you can swing it, instead of twice). They all say they play with your pet for 1/2-hour or hour and water your plants, but I don't believe it. They come and feed, scoop the box, and leave. Some of the more tech-savvy services will email you a photo each day, which is great.

I agree with you on boarding. My partner lost two childhood cats to boarders - one "ran away" and was never seen again, the other "fell" while playing and broke a leg, but apparently it happened just before they came to pick her up, which is why no medical treatment was given and the cat had to be put down when they finally got it to the vet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hoofmaiden- I tried to search for a pet sitter using your link and it says none are found. I have also checked the ones on kijiji that say they are licensed and bonded but it really isn't practical, 20$ a day for two visits for 3 weeks, thats almost one way for the whole trip, $420! We wouldn't be able to afford that.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see the reply...

If you have a person that can only come once a day, that's fine, you can work around it. Of course cats don't like their routine upset, but they can give her a double-serving of the wet food and top-up the dry each day during the visit, and she'll be fine.

The only thing I have to say against using friends and neighbours is some of the people I've used in the past have been a bit negligent. Even if you pay them, sometimes there's an attitude of them doing you a favour, and they might not be so good at cleaning up other messes (hairballs, etc), or they bring their kids with them. Professional pet sitters are better in that regard.

You could ask the neighbours with toddlers, though? Offer a bit of money and they could treat it as a lesson to teach the sproglet responsibility.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Well, you've listed all the options and written them all off in your posts.

Take her - It's a long trip and she's had car issues before.
Board her - Bad experience
Leave her with friends - your friends all have dogs and there is no one you feel comfortable with
hire someone to watch her - Your parent's don't want strangers in their home.

I think that about covers all your options...... you're going to have to pick one.

For HER safety and comfort ('cause really, that's all I care about :wink) I would suggest biting the bullet and hiring a pet sitter to feed/care for her. Either that or don't go with your parents. Stay home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mowmow- I know this is why it's difficult because it's being left for me to decide. I can talk to my parents and see if they will go with a pet sitter but I can't see them agreeing for the amount it costs, but maybe I could work out a deal or something because of how long it is.
I can't stay at home, they wont let me be in the house by myself for more than a weekend. (something about not wanting me to burn the house down :p)The only plus side of bringing her would be that when we get her there, its quiet because it's our house so it will just be us there. Do you think she would settle in the car? My friend did compare it to moving, like if I move there I wouldn't leave her behind so whats the big deal with bringing her. But I do see the obvious flaws in his suggestion.
I am trying to put her comfort first but she's one of those cats who don't eat for the first few days of us leaving her in the care of friends and hides without wanting interaction from strangers so I really don't know where she leaves me in giving her comfort without killing my dads wallet. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm unwilling to pick something, she's my furbaby and I want her to be comfortable while were gone, but my parents are the ones paying for the sitter if thats what happens.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Even if she is used to eating twice a day, i think having someone come only once a day would be preferable and an easier adjustment than moving her to a different location. You could have them leave dry out all the time and put the wet food out when they come. I have also skipped more than one vacation in the last few years because of my animals...dogs moreso than cats, but sometimes there isn't anything you can do.

ETA: I just gathered that you're a minor living with your parents? I still think a neighbor is easiest and cheapest. I would do this for a neighbor for free, but even $10 a day maybe for a teenager?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
hoofmaiden- I tried to search for a pet sitter using your link and it says none are found. I have also checked the ones on kijiji that say they are licensed and bonded but it really isn't practical, 20$ a day for two visits for 3 weeks, thats almost one way for the whole trip, $420! We wouldn't be able to afford that.
Well, sorry, but that is a VERY good price. It's just part of having a pet--if you can afford to go on vacation for such a long time (I know no one who can afford to do that LOL!) you can afford to pay for a pet sitter. $10 a visit is a GREAT deal.

You could get an automatic feeder ( Amazon.com: Cat Mate C50 5 Bowl 96 Hour Pet Feeder w/ 2 Ice Packs: Pet Supplies ), which would enable the pet sitter to feed the a.m. meal and put the p.m. meal in the feeder (with ice pack). It then automatically opens at the prescribed time.

Personally I wouldn't do that, esp. for such a long time, as it's a long time for anyone to go w/out significant interaction. But it would save you 1 visit a day.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Well, sorry, but that is a VERY good price. It's just part of having a pet--if you can afford to go on vacation for such a long time (I know no one who can afford to do that LOL!) you can afford to pay for a pet sitter. $10 a visit is a GREAT deal.

Pretty much this. Your parents agreed to have a pet and pets are an expense. It needed to be added in to the cost of the vacation as a responsibility for owning an animal that needs care.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jadis- Yes I am a minor living with my parents. I was thinking that if I can only find someone that can come once, perhaps I could try to switch her to just dry until we come back because she eats it all mixed together so the dry food gets kind of nasty by the end of the day without new food. I don't know if she'd willing to change in 2 and a half weeks though because she usually doesn't eat much dry food without the wet mixed in.

hoofmaiden- I don't afford anything its my parents, and we pay it off all year long. Even the kennel we put her in last year was half that. For my parents she's just a cat and my dad was really gung ho on taking her with us and letting her free in the car for the whole trip. -facepalm-

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
In the past I have used a pet sitter and while it isn't the cheapest option she has been brilliant. Last year when Trixie was still having treatment (and at that point responding) she even took her down for her regular vet appointments and gave her medicines. She is happy to keep us informed of how things are going and is just as good with the dog as the cats.

As a down side, one year we did come back to some fleas but given the fact that she has to go from one house to another we didn't blame her and just dealt with it.

This year I will be luckier - my nephew and his family will be doing most of it but I am still using her for a couple of visits on days when he is busy. I trust her with my house key and there as never been a problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mowmow, I realise that but as they are they think of the pets they had when they were kids and don't think she needs such an expensive fix. He'd rather take her with us than spend 400$ on someone. The money portion is really out of my hands as I can't work right now because of a problem with anxiety.

Sounds like you have a good fix Arianwen. For the first few years I had a good fix, my friend who gave me her would take her and text me pictures when I requested and texted me how she was doing. She kept her locked in her room away from the other cats as she has alot of them and all was well. But she has gotten a dog and we aren't really friends anymore. None of my family lives in the province so I'm not as lucky as you in being able to get relatives to watch her.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm sorry, but if the place you boarded her at last year was less then $20/day I'm not surprised she had problems when she got back. You get what you pay for.

I'm with Hoofmaiden/MowMow that $20 for two visits a day is a great price (cheapest here is $25/visit, and I'm not sure I'd go with them.)

It's unfortunate, but ultimately this is your parents' decision, not yours.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
In your initial post, you said:

and I'm having a very hard time finding someone I'm comfortable leaving her with because everyone has dogs now.
Is it possible that one of your friends with a dog would be willing to come by once a day to look after your cat and, in return, you would agree to look after and walk their dog when they go on vacation?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Jacq- We didn't think anything about the price, they had awards for one of the best kennels in the city I live in and were recommended.
Susan- I could try that, I'll have to ask around.

So if everything else fails and my dad gets his way, whats the best way to make the trip as comfortable as possible for her in the car etc? I'll have to figure it all out soon so I can make sure everythings ready and I've searched the board but can't really find anything thats this long or boat and I'd really like to be ready for every possible situation. And I don't know much about travelling with cats for more than vet trips. Would it help to take her on a few short trips of just going around for a little while or just go straight on the trip?
-I know the option for the boat is you can leave them in the car or 'stow' them on the boat kennel for a fee.
-I know not to let her roam in the car or motel room so she doesn't get out or get in the way, so crate or harness her to the seatbelt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts