Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY recommend you read this article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3588457.stm

It is about vaccines and how they may last longer than they were thought to last.

I also talked to two new vets who just got out of veterinary school. One vet said that their clinic will ONLY give vaccines every 3 years, and not over the age of 10. The other vet said their clinic believes (and gives) they only need the fist shots and boosters as kittens, and it protects them their whole life.

After hearing this, it really changed my schedule about giving vaccines. Now my cats get them every 3 years, and not over 10 years of age.

Take Care,
Abhay

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If I remember correctly, Dr Jean only recommends rabies vaccinations that are required by law if you have an indoor-only cat.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My guys got their kitten shots and boosters around one year of age. Now they are absolutely DONE. No more vaccines as I don't think any more are necessary.
Hopefully no one will force me to give them their rabies vaccines.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Addison got his required shots when I adopted him, and the vets told me to bring him back for yearly updates. Since then I've read a lot of material that says too many vaccinations can lead to cancer in the site of the shot and all sorts of problems. Although he is strictly an indoor (and only) cat, I still feel that never giving him another round of vaccinations will somehow harm him if he were to escape one day, I think I'll definately limit it to at least three years from now.

I'm also doing an online program to become a veterinary assistant, and possibly planning on vet technician school after that. Hopefully I'll learn about it in depth and make a better decision.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have to vaccinate my show cats every year if I wanna bring the cats to the show, but I only vaccinate non-show cats every two years. Fortunately my cat organisation (SVERAK) have asked it's mother organisation (FIFè) if we members of SVERAK can get away with vaccinating every second year. But since FIFé sometimes acts like th Gestapo I have no hopes for that so for now I don't show my cats for many years at all.

And about vaccianting indoor cats, I belive it should be done at leats once since at least distemper is a quite contagious disease and the virus can survive in the enviroment for years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Vaccinations

I've recommended to a couple of family members not to vaccinate their animals (adults) after I learned how harmful they were and the fact that they actually last 3 years.

Unfortunately their vets are holding them hostage I guess you could say. The vet tells them that if they want to bring their animal to that hospital they "have" to be vaccinated. Even my vet tells this crap to others (not me). Vets won't let people board their pets without vaccinations either. How does one get around this requirement? Seems to me the vets have you hostage.

Would like to here what yall think of this practice and if you've come across this at your own vet.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yah, I was supposed to vaccinate Angel in April, but I haven't because it could be more harm to her :) I'm still going to continue to do it for my dog, in case I need her to go to a kennel are something.. But make sure your kitten gets all the boosters. Oreo didn't get all of them and got sick :( But I re-gave him them and he hasn't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't know of any vet who holds their clients hostage. My oldest cat have had to visit the local animal hospital quite many times and not once have they mentioned anything about him not being vaccinated.

As long as you don't start a discussion about vaccinations with the vet, they don't seem to care if the cat you have is vaccinated or not. Swedish vets are great when it comes not to out their nose where it isn't wanted :wink: But one should never start a discussion with a Swedish vet because when it really comes down to it, they now best :roll:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine are vaccinated every 3 years until they reach 10 years of age, then rabies only (it's a law here and not one I'm going to ignore or break).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dylan is only 15 weeks so I'd like to ask a question...

If i were to go on holiday in just over a year and decided to place him in a cattery - would they insist that he have yearly boosters :( I don't wanna give him anything that might hurt him - he is indoor at moment and will only be outdoor on a leash if at all...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
DylansMummy said:
Dylan is only 15 weeks so I'd like to ask a question...

If i were to go on holiday in just over a year and decided to place him in a cattery - would they insist that he have yearly boosters :( I don't wanna give him anything that might hurt him - he is indoor at moment and will only be outdoor on a leash if at all...
I would guess different catteries have different policys. In Sweden the cat have to be fully vaccinated (which today means vaccinated once a year) if you wanna leave the cat at a cattery. We have laws about this in Sweden and at the catteries have to obey them even if they don't want to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know you can have a titer test run on a dog to see how high or low the immunity levels are to a certain disease, I'm sure it would also be done for cats too. Never asked though. My cats & dogs just get the rabies shots done once a year (required by Alabama law). My boxer will be 9 years old next month and I am going to see about getting a titer on the rabies and if it comes back high enough, see about getting a statement from the vet and county to skip the shot.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I hope my new vet doesn't pester me about getting them yearly shots. I hate to feel pestered too much where they try to make you feel bad. I'm sticking to what I want to do though which is no yearly vaccinations except rabies. My cats are only indoors anyways except the harness walking bit. :p

Question- Are they considered indoor only if you take them out for walks outside then? Would I need any type of vaccine or shots for my 2 cats :?:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Vaccines and vaccine intervals are highly controversial in the veterinary community. We have been running a series of articles about this subject in our free monthly newsletter for 3 or 4 months; you can see them in archives at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=nlarchive. Other good sites include http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/SAVP2.HTM and http://www.aafponline.org/pdf/guidelines_vaccine.pdf; the latter is long and technical but comprehensive.

I know that vets do in fact pull that emotional "hostage" act on clients. Sadly there are a lot of them. If they refuse to treat your a animal without vaccinating it first (which is against every ethical and practical guideline out there), find another vet. This attitude, you don't need.

There are always alternatives if you look hard enough. There are usually some kennels that will be lenient on booster requirements, for example.

The key is to find a vet who will work with you and answer some important questions, including:
1. Which vaccines are you recommending for my cat?
2. What is the risk of disease for each component of each vaccine, based on my cat's lifestyle (indoor, outdoor, show, etc.)?
3. What are the risks of each vaccine? (e.g., for feline distemper, kidney disease (chronic renal failure) is a risk; for rabies, leukemia and probably FIV, vaccine-site cancer is a risk). If they do not know that the feline distemper vaccine has been associated with risk of chronic renal failure, educate them. Our most recent letter discusses the research. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... volume2no6
4. Why do you feel that my cat needs each component of each vaccine you are recommending? Make them justify every single one. If they can't, don't allow the vaccine to be given.
5. Make sure the rabies vaccine they are using is the Purevax, which doesn't cause cancer like all the rest. If not, ask them why not. If they don't know what you are talking about, find another vet.
6. Ask them about titer testing. If they don't know what you are talking about, find another vet.

Vets will not change their procedures until clients force it by asking tough questions and being proactive about protecting their pets' health. Don't let the vet talk you into anything by saying "she just needs it" or "the vaccine company recommends annual boosters" or "we've always done it like this and always will" or any other line of horse-puckey. My personal favorite is "there isn't enough research to make any changes yet." We've known for 10 years that vaccines can be dangerous. There is new research coming out all the time. There is more than enough research to support decreasing booster frequency to at least every 3 years and in many cases much longer; and every vet school and major veterinary organization has said so.

Do your research and understand the facts, and challenge your vet on them. Until vets are *forced* to reconsider their actions, nothing will change.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks Dr. Jean! I'm glad I chose the PureVax for Jusin's rabies booster. The woman who I adopted him from told me to get it. She didn't tell me why really, just said it was better.
The clinic was pushing me to get the one that lasted for 3 years (so they say) as opposed to PureVax.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks so much

Thanks Dr. Jean for your response to this vaccine discussion. Now I'll know what questions to ask, etc. Didn't know how to approach it before, but with this in hand, I will. God Bless You.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts