Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Oliver's 2nd distemper booster shot given to him a couple weeks ago. He still has a lump where they injected it, should I be worried? He cried horribly that day the vet repeatedly tried to inject him. He is do for his 3rd and final distemper along with his rabies around August 1st and I am a bit nervous of taking him back in. Any suggestions? Is it normal for the kitten to be in such discomfort after the shots and to sleep all day?

Thanks for any advice.
Melanie (new mom)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm sorry I can't comment on the soreness or bump of the injection site, but i did notice that my kitten was INCREDIBLY sleepy after her first set of vaccinations and also felt warm to the touch. I think she may have had a slight fever, and i was beginning to get worried, but the next morning she woke up fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm only using my personal experience with Intramuscular injections. I used to go thru IVF and had to give myself IM injections and I always got HUGE knots under the skin. Not sure if you should worry or not, but it seems to be a normal reaction to having a coffee stirrer sized needle stuck in the body. :lol:

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm not gonna comment the lump but it is however a quite normal reaction for the cat to be a bit tired after the vaccination. It can be a side effect of the vaccine or just the stress from the visit at the vet.

And when it comes to discomfort during the vaccination... that's individual. Sometimes the vet is clumsy (I've seen it) and that causes stress of course but som cats are just very sensitive about needles and being restrained from moving (sometimes I think they resent that more than the needle itself).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sometimes if the injection goes intradermally (within the skin layers) rather than under them, a lump will form. Not to worry, unless the lump persists for more than months; then it should be checked out by your vet, perhaps biopsied. However, distemper vaccines don't usually cause that persistent of a reaction. Do have your vet check it next time.

Cheers
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts