Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

whilst doing research into feline nutrition I keep coming across information against vaccination's

my girl's are due for their annual in April & I am debating whether to take them or to completely stop the vaccination's

my cat's are indoor only so are at a very small risk of catching anything but I do pet a lot of the neighbourhood cat's while im out walking so could possibly bring something home with me

as I did one day bring home a flee :oops: luckily I groom my cat's daily & caught the flee which was in Elfie's fur before it had had a chance to settle or lay egg's, I fumigated our home & have never seen another flee since but my friend's thought it highly amusing that my cat caught a flee from me lol

any way back on topic....

I would like some opinion's on vaccination's & whether you vaccinate your cat/s annually ???

thank-you

Victoria x

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been looking into this recently, too! We currently vaccinate our (indoor-only) cats annually, but I'm considering stopping or at least extending the time between boosters...

Important note: I would NOT stop vaccinating **WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW**. Failing to keep a pet up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations can in many areas result in legally-required immediate euthanasia if they bite someone... regardless of titre testing results or a vet's excuse from boosters. In such cases, the potential cost of not vaccinating is increased substantially!

A few decent resources for general information about why I would even consider suggesting such a thing as not vaccinating in adulthood:

Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Vaccines are very important but do carry risks

Feline Practitioner Guidelines Publications

Antibody Titers vs Annual Vaccinations

Also, I do know a thing or two about basic biology ;) A normal adult immune system if previously vaccinated simply doesn't require repeated annual boosters of the same vaccine to keep up defenses... and a deficient immune system won't maintain immunity even with regular vaccinations.

Now all that being said, please don't just take the word of some random stranger on the internet ;) Talk to your vet and do your own research, too!

All things considered, I'd worry most about the potential effects of adjuvanted vaccines (i.e. sarcomas!). If you do choose to continue yearly vaccinations (or if rabies vaccinations are legally required in your area - check province/state as well as local laws) insist your vet use the non-adjuvanted (or "modified live virus", MLV) form of any vaccine you choose to have administered.

And of course even if you don't have your cats vaccinated annually, please do still take them in for an annual check-up!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou for your reply & info link's,

the vet that my boy's go to only give a single vaccine that has everything in one which I have never been happy about even before reading stuff like your link's above

the girl's I can choose what they have & what they dont have - they dont have the FELV because they are indoor cat's

I will speak to my vet's but I am worried that they will just tell me yes the annual vaccines are essential because that is what they are trained to say

I will ask about the adjuvacent & have a sneaky suspiscion this is the type the boy's vet uses :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Good thing you brought this up. I'm also debating about my furkids' vaccinations. And a good reminder too! I almost forgot that it's time to bring 1 or more of them in for rabies shots!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luckily we don't have rabies vaccine's where I live.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oops. Sorry to threadjack and for the double post. Perhaps others may be interested in discussing this too.

My vet does an all-in-one annual (FVRCP) which includes the rabies. My cats are strictly indoors although my dog does go out. Is there a big enough risk that my dog will bring in anything to the cats to necessitate a vaccination?

My vet uses Meriel vaccines. She said they are adjuvanted, but according to the Meriel site, they have non-adjuvanted vaccines. If I remember correctly, my vet administers the vaccine in the scruff area. I'm leaning heavily towards not re-vaccinating them. Both already had at least 1 dose of FVCRP already.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oops. Sorry to threadjack and for the double post. Perhaps others may be interested in discussing this too.

My vet does an all-in-one annual (FVRCP) which includes the rabies. My cats are strictly indoors although my dog does go out. Is there a big enough risk that my dog will bring in anything to the cats to necessitate a vaccination?
Since they're already vaccinated, in my mind it's not an issue of whether the dog will bring anything in... even if they do bring something in, the cats should be immune already :wink:

I wholeheartedly support vaccinating pets! I just am becoming convinced that annual "boosters" are unnecessary.

My vet uses Meriel vaccines. She said they are adjuvanted, but according to the Meriel site, they have non-adjuvanted vaccines. If I remember correctly, my vet administers the vaccine in the scruff area. I'm leaning heavily towards not re-vaccinating them. Both already had at least 1 dose of FVCRP already.
Merial's "Purevax" vaccine is non-adjuvanted; their "Imrab" vaccines are adjuvanted though. Have you asked her about switching to a non-adjuvanted vaccine, or explained to her why you're concerned? Not all vets keep on top of all the latest research (not that I necessarily blame them, most vets are expected to know about and medically treat multiple species, after all!), so you might need to point her in the right direction (politely, of course).

e.g.:
Vaccine-associated feline sarcomas
Vaccine-Associated Feline Sarcoma Task Force: Roundtable Discussion

(The first is the report of the VAFSTF; the second link is a more recent, very interesting and balanced roundtable discussion from the same group that I'd encourage everyone with cats to read.)

The complete .pdf at this link:
Feline Practitioner Guidelines Publications
includes a list of available adjuvanted/non-adjuvanted vaccines.

Note that a causal link between adjuvanted vaccines and sarcomas has not actually been established, and vaccine-associated sarcomas are in fact very rare (1 in 1,000-10,000 cats). But from the information available, given that non-adjuvanted vaccines are both readily available and effective, I'd personally favour the non-adjuvanted form. If your vet prefers the adjuvanted form, I'd (politely!) ask them to explain why. There may be a good reason that I haven't considered.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unfortunately in Vegas, it is law to get Vaccines. It is also law to Spay or Neuter your pet. I hate those laws, I would hate to have my uterus taken out and have to get the same vaccine over and over for no reason. :| Nuff said

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the info. Well, I'll look into it. I already kno most of what you said. but ur right about one thing. since the cats are already vaccinated, then they'll be protected against whatever the dog brings in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking the same that there is really no need for "annual" vaccine's but kitten's should be vaccinated at the correct age

thank you for the advise

anyone else have an opinion on this...... do you have your cat's vaccinated annually ???

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think indoor only cat's are much better off being neutered especially if you have male & female living together

the amount of homeless kitten's & cat's is diabolical so I am all for neutering

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am still very confused myself as to what to do.I heard the vaccinations actually last 1.5 yrs and so I haven't had mine in for that long but I have two males and they demand to go out and there is a stray hanging around my house(and I cannot be cruel to it so I just let it be around I mean it has nowhere else to go...) and it doesn't look the healthiest.(also marking everywhere and of course not fixed, pew)Then I have a female who is only indoor but exposed to the males so I am thinking I better go and get them re vaccinated soon.I do everything+ FELV and rabies sometimes they have gotten sick in the past and that scares me but last year none did.Any advice for me?(should I have started my own thread I am never clear about whether to do that or not)Thanks :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts