Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat CC had all of his kitten shots and a booster at one year but hasn't had anything since. He's four now. He is indoor, but I'd like to take him outside on a harness. I firmly believe in limited vaccinations with my dogs, only doing puppy series, booster a year later, rabies every three years by law and then I'll titer test for parvo and distemper. No way I'd ever do yearly vacs for dogs, but I don't know much about cats. There has only been three cases of rabies in the province in the last decade, so I'm not worried about that, but I don't know about the others. It's been proven that with dogs, after puppy shots and one booster most dogs will be protected against parvo for life, but vets still push yearly or every three years shots. My vet doesn't push shots and said that CC didn't need anything speficic when he started living with my dog, but not sure about the basics.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Its an on going discussion in the vet community, about the US over vaccinating cats and dogs. After a lot of reading on the subject and discussing it in-depth with my vet friend I only give the initial round of shots the first year of a cats life. Then leave it at that. Esp since my own cat is indoors with supervised outings in the yard.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I did some research and found that Jean Dodd's has a vaccination protocol for cats that is very similar to dogs, so we're good. I just didn't know if cats that went outside needed additional vaccinations than those staying inside always.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you, I did some research and found that Jean Dodd's has a vaccination protocol for cats that is very similar to dogs, so we're good. I just didn't know if cats that went outside needed additional vaccinations than those staying inside always.
In terms of which vaccinations you choose to give, yes, but not in terms of frequency. At least, I can't see any biological reason why it would be the case. The basic mechanisms underlying continued immunity after vaccination are the same regardless of whether they're allowed outside or not ;-)

If anything, outdoor cats on average would need less frequent boosters, since they're more likely to be re-exposed to pathogens. (Note that I am certainly NOT suggesting anyone rely on so-called "natural immunity" obtained by actually contracting an infection with a live pathogen... I'm talking about re-exposure after vaccination.)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I pretty much only have my guys done every year just in case they need to be boarded (they need to be up to date). If they never ever had to go into boarding, I'd probably only have them done every 3 years, maybe less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts