Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be bringing Tessie in to get her shots tomorrow and wanted your opinion on what shots are necessary for her. She is an all indoor cat, has had a well check this year by the vet and is healthy (she is going to be 8yrs old in September). Since she is an indoor cat I havent given her any shots in the past 3-4 years but now that I have a dog I feel as though she should get atleast her rabies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am going to be bringing Tessie in to get her shots tomorrow and wanted your opinion on what shots are necessary for her. She is an all indoor cat, has had a well check this year by the vet and is healthy (she is going to be 8yrs old in September). Since she is an indoor cat I havent given her any shots in the past 3-4 years but now that I have a dog I feel as though she should get atleast her rabies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you! :)
I have decided to stop vaccinating my cats... I feel that it causes more harm then good. As long as your dog has a rabies shot I don't think your cat really needs it. If you still want to plead give her purvax(sp?) I'm sure other members here can explain the reasons better then me.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I don't see why having a dog means your cat should have a rabies shot. ?? Certainly there is no reason for an indoor cat to have the other vaccinations (FeLV, rhino, etc). If you do decide to vaccinate against rabies, make sure the vet has (or will order for you) PureVax made by Merial, which is the only adjuvant-free feline rabies vaccine. It is the adjuvant in other vaccines that are thought to cause VAS (vaccine-associated sarcoma), which is a real risk w/ both the normal rabies and FeLV vaccines.

Personally, I don't vaccinate my cats at all other than 1-2 rabies vaccines over the course of their lives. Dr. Schultz's work shows that the rabies vaccines actually provide protection for 7-12 years.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was only thinking rabies because it is required by law to have in MA... lets just say I bring her to the vet for an emergency or something and she scratches or bites the vet with no rabies shots. I am so affraid they would put her to sleep or take her away from me.... Thats the thought process in my head, lol.

Thank you for the help :), atleast I know I will not be getting her the other shots but I am still hesitant on what I should do about the rabies shot...

·
Registered
147 Posts
HI Regina
I'm going to post a few links you should look at

Links to further reading:
Treating Adverse Vaccine Reactions by Jean Dodds, DVM, world-renowned pet vaccination expert
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/08/06/treating-adverse-vaccine-reactions-by-jean-dodds-dvm/
Feline Vaccination Protocol – Minimal Vaccine Use for Kittens – 2010, Jean Dodds, DVM
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/kitten-shots.htm
Vaccination Guidelines for Cats
http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Feline%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm
Feline Vaccines: Benefits and Risks
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/rbbroch.asp
Vaccines and Sarcomas: A Concern for Cat Owners
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/ownbroch.asp
WHAT IS A FIBROSARCOMA & WHY DO WE THINK VACCINATION MIGHT CAUSE IT?
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vaccine_associated_fibrosarcom.html
http://www.catshots.com - Sylvia’s Journey of New Hope, Education before Vaccination
http://www.geocities.com/~kremersark/legislativeaction.html Legislation Action Page

PS If you get the rabbies shot, tell them to give it in the rear leg, and not the back of the neck

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I was only thinking rabies because it is required by law to have in MA... lets just say I bring her to the vet for an emergency or something and she scratches or bites the vet with no rabies shots. I am so affraid they would put her to sleep or take her away from me.... Thats the thought process in my head, lol.
OK-- but still has nothing to do w/ the dog!

Generally the worst thing that happens if your unvaccinated animal bites someone is quarantine. In most places you can agree to q-tine the cat yourself, in your own home. So not that big a deal.

Un-owned animals are often euthanized right away if they bite someone, but not owned ones (unless they are actually exhibiting symptoms of rabies). The incidence of rabies among owned animals is EXCEEDINGLY low.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK-- but still has nothing to do w/ the dog!

Generally the worst thing that happens if your unvaccinated animal bites someone is quarantine. In most places you can agree to q-tine the cat yourself, in your own home. So not that big a deal.

Un-owned animals are often euthanized right away if they bite someone, but not owned ones (unless they are actually exhibiting symptoms of rabies). The incidence of rabies among owned animals is EXCEEDINGLY low.
LOL, I know it has nothing to do with the dog :p.

Thank you for the help! I will also be checking out those links when I get home from work.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you're going to vaccinate, I suggest you insist on Merial PureVax vaccines as they're the safest on the market (my opinion but many experts agree). PureVax vaccines are non-adjuvanted. Adjuvanted vaccines are believed to cause vaccine associated sarcomas. PureVax Rabies is the ONLY non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine on the market. If your vet says otherwise, they are lying.

My cat gets rabies yearly (PureVax is only licensed for 1 year but it's safer than the 3 year vaccines even if administered every year). It probably lasts over a year so if you don't care about the legal bits, I'd just do it every 3 to be safe. I do FVRCP (called PureVax Feline 3) every 3 years. There is also a Rabies/FVRCP combo vaccine called Feline 3 + Rabies. One less injection if you opt for both.

She's indoors so I don't bother with FeLV, FIV, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a question - my 5 month old kitten is due for her 2nd Feline Leukemia and her rabies shot - then she's done with vaccines. My vet uses PureVax for both of these. Does anyone have an opinion if it's okay to have both of these vaccines at the same time or should I get her Feline Leukemia first and then wait a few weeks for her rabies. On one hand, it'd be nice for her to get it over with soon as she gets very stressed going to the Vet - on the other hand, she usually doesn't eat and sleeps all day after vaccines.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
She is indoors; however, I have a neighbor who gets cats and tosses them outside (no vaccinations at all) so they can live off his rat population. They come up here from time to time and my fear was that my kitten might accidentally get outside and meet up with them. She will not get the yearly booster though. Plus, if I have already given her the 1st shot, I should probably get the 2nd one to complete it as long as I've started it.

However, my question wasn't whether to get these shots - my question was whether they should be given at the same time or if I should get the 2nd Fel L first and wait a few weeks for the rabies. Again, my kitten stresses out so much each time I go to the vet (so tempting to get them at the same time); however, she sleeps all day and doesn't eat after vaccinations so I also fear a reaction to both shots at the same time. Just wondered if someone had any opinion on that.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
If you are diligent there is no reason to assume she will get out. I've had indoor cats for 35 years and only one escape--that was b/c Ebony was on prednisone and had "steroid psychosis," which caused her to flip out and not recognize her. We got her back w/ in an hour.

If you go ahead and vaccinate, definitely split the vaccinations up! It's never a good idea to do more than one at a time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FelV for kittens is a 2-part vaccine with the 2nd shot 3 to 4 weeks after the first one. She had that lst one 3 weeks ago and not sure the implications if I didn't complete it. I'm extremely deligent about keeping her indoors; however, I have kids coming and going and she makes a mad rush to the door. If she runs under the house, I can't get her - and that is where the neighbor's cats like to hang out when they visit. The Vet said that kittens are susceptible to FelV but build more of an immunity against it when they're older so I won't be getting her yearly boosters. Also will probably get the 1 year FVRCP only because she got her last kitten vaccine at 12 weeks vs. 16 weeks and keep up her rabies but don't plan on vaccinating other than rabies beyond that.

Thanks Hoofmaiden for your input and will ask the vet to separate the vaccines. Hate to wait on rabies, but I suppose a few weeks will be okay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did regret allowing the vet to give her that 1st FelV vaccine but figured now that I did - I should follow through - but no more after this. Even thought about skipping the 2nd of the series but not sure what the implications are.

About her running for the exit -
I accidentally shut one of my doors not knowing she was there - and the door hit her and scared her. She NEVER tries to go through that door. Maybe I should make everyone enter and exit that one door only. hmmmmmm

·
Registered
978 Posts
Unless she is living with a cat with FLV, she does not need a vaccine for it. Indoor-only cats can't get it any other way. The only reason to get rabies, obviously, is state law.
Bats can get into your house and they carry rabies too though. Cats can also escape your house.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A few miles away, they discovered a rabid bat so I think the rabies shot is pretty important. Bats haven't come into our home (yet) but I've seen them flappin' around outside.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am talking about FLV, not rabies. What bat carries that virus?

There is also no reason for a bat to go in my condo. The university nearby, University of Florida, has two large bat houses that get thousands of bats. So there is zero chance a rabid bat will visit my cat.
No but you said the only reason to do rabies is because of laws about it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Because there is no chance a bat will get in my condo, obviously. No bats, no rabies. I would consider rabies for a dog because they go out, but not a cat who stays inside 24/7.
But you were giving advice to another person who may not have your same living situation. You did not qualify it at all...you just said the only reason to get rabies is due to the law. I've had a bat in my house, it's definitely something that some people need to consider and assess their risk.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
But you were giving advice to another person who may not have your same living situation. You did not qualify it at all...you just said the only reason to get rabies is due to the law. I've had a bat in my house, it's definitely something that some people need to consider and assess their risk.
Sure.. But bear in mind that studies done by Dr. Ronald Schultz indicate that the available rabies vaccines actually protect the animal for 8-12 years. Titers can be done to check how good the remaining protection is. There is really no reason to vaccinate annually, even if you are concerned about your pet contracting rabies. It's just very unlikely, given the longevity of the vaccine.

The only reason vaccines are given annually or triennielly is $$$. Pharma and the vets want to make more of it, and if they were only vaccinating our pets every 8-12 years they wouldn't make nearly as much.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It seems like living right beside two giant Bat condos would increase the chances to have one get in the house, not lessen it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts