Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am new here, and I also rehomed a Scottish fold (almost 2 weeks ago) called Ness . She is 1.5 years old. She is an indoor cat. I'm a first time cat owner, so I will be using this forum a lot to learn new things about cats.

The seller lied to us about her vaccinations. She had absolutely no vaccinations at all and I found this out today.

Ness is going to have her first vets appointment on Tuesday next week, but I am really freaking out about all of these illnesses and infections that unvaccinated cats can get. I am worried what if its too late?

She so needs to get spayed because she doesn't go through the heat period well at all.

Please could someone provide me with some reassurance, I am just a little bit anxious.

Ness has been with us for 2 weeks now, but I already love her and I don't want her to fall ill.

We are also aware that this breed may suffer with health issues later on, and we have purchased insurance and health plan for her.

Thank you all x
Cat Eye Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
Wow, Ness is absolutely gorgeous! I don't think it's ever too late to give the necessary basic vaccinations.

There are so many different opinions about what vaccines to give indoor cats after that, but you can discuss this with your vet. Personally, I would get all the basic and follow-up vaccines that kittens normally get, including rabies - depending on the laws where you live.

You have insurance and a health plan so you're doing all the right things for your beautiful little girl.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's not ever too late for the basic vaccinations that pets should have. Don't worry about it. Dogs and cats who are picked up my animal control at any age almost always get vaccinated, and there's no way to know if they had been already or not. And if she were already ill from any of those diseases, you'd probably know it.

I never give my cats rabies shots because they don't go out, but this is a personal decision, not something I would or would not recommend to others. I also do not give booster shots to my animals after the first year, but again, this is something to make up your own mind about, after consulting with the vet and doing your own research.

It sounds to me as if you are going to be a good and very caring cat person to a very lovely little cat, and I hope this forum can give you any assistance you need. Congratulations on your new little friend!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi! Good job taking in the little floof. She's a cutie!

Rabies vax in my state are mandatory, but even without that, my girls had their first shot at the shelter and get booster shots when due. They're indoor cats but we're not chancing the rabies.

We live in a wooded area with a multitude of critters, some of whom have snuck into the attic. Bats in particular are especially dangerous and can squeeze into the house without anybody noticing. If the cats bite one, they can get infected too. Also, while I watch the doors like I'm the guarding the Gates of Asgard, if my girls did get out, they'be be surrounded by raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, and foxes, who can also carry rabies. I'd rather be paranoid than sorry.

However, while we've kept up on all their other shots without a problem, my Kate had a very bad reaction to her FVRCP-C w/VS Calici vax last month. Very lethargic, rapid heart-rate, panting, wouldn't eat or drink. It lasted for a terrifying 24 hours and she was fine the next day, but we won't be doing THAT one again!

So do some research at reputable sites, discuss it with your Vet, and make the best informed choice that you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.