Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Wales and have to give my cats yearly vaccinations. I have a few questions I'd like answered and would appreciate some experience other people have had.

My two older cats were fine when they had theirs but one of my younger kittens, had a severe reaction. Dexter became ill within less than an hour and got worse over the weekend. His eyes were glued together with puss, he was wheezing and sleeping all the time. The vet told us he had severe cat flu and that it had nothing to do with the vaccinations. I find this too much of a coincidence and research on the internet shows it can happen.

Again the time has come around to have them vaccinated. I am unsure what to do with Dexter and extremely worried in case it happens again. It's not so much the money I'd have to spend if a reaction occurred, but the fact that I love him and don't want to put him through that again.

Any experiences you would like to share or opinions would be greatfully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lan :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Is it possible that when you take him in to get vaccinated you could talk to the vet about it? Explain what happened last time and see if its possible to give him the shot and keep him there for a little while, just in case something happens. I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper to fix if he has a reaction while he's there than to wait a few days and let it get really bad before you take him back.

Also, and I don't know much about this, I've heard most yearly vaccinations aren't really needed and could possibly do more harm than good. You may want to look into that a little bit too. Like I said, I don't know much about it.

Hope it helps.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Is he an indoor-only cat? If he is, I would no longer vaccinate him. Maybe you can find another vet that will take your concerns seriously? You certainly wouldn't want the poor guy to go through this again. I've decided to vaccinate my indoor cats only once every three years for rabies and that's it. They are not at risk for the other diseases.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Queen is absolutely right; most cats do not need most vaccines, and most vaccines do not need to be boostered every year. It's my understanding that there is no rabies in the UK, so he may not even need that one.

I've been slowly putting together a comprehensive article about vaccination and have been running it in the last few issues of our free newsletter; here's the addy for the archives if you want to take a look: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=nlarchive
I think I started it in March or April...it should answer a lot of your questions.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

Dexter is an outdoor cat, not that you'd notice. He spends more time in the house than out.

The vet we have was totally against the idea that the vaccinations caused the problem, so am at present looking for a new vet. Last time it cost us a lot of money as we had to treat 2 cats. Rincewind fell ill a week later, but due to their closeness we would have done more harm keeping them apart, than keeping them together.

I have read on various websites about giving the vaccinations on a 3 year basis, but our vet insists on each year. So I am now considering my options. It is such a hard decision to make as I love my cats with all my heart and hate to see them suffering like that.

I would also like to say thank you to Drjean for the article which I will be reading after posting this post.

I will be doing some research on this subject and will keep you posted on the results.

The vaccinations our cats received were Nobivac FELV OFSB and NOBIVAC TRICAT 9633 A. The first dose which made him ill was received on the 03/07/03 and the second one was delayed until 26/07/03. It was after the first dose he was ill, but I would assume the antibiotics were still in his system after the cat flu. He was approximately 12 weeks old when they were done.

Kind Regards,

Lan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts