Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the rescue I work with vaccinates all their cats (FVRCP).
We pulled a group of cats out of a high kill pound and immediately gave them their first shots.
A week later one of the cats became very ill and had to be euth'd. Blood work confirmed PanLuk

IS IT POSSIBLE that the vaccine caused this in this cat? Cat was about 8 months old. Could he have been fighting the virus and the vaccine caused full blown disease?

My fosters (2 from that same group) are now due for their second shot and I am scared to death that they will get sick. Am I being paranoid?
I have no choice in the decision to vaccinate, it is the group's protocol.

I have been a "cat lady" for less than a year and really have a lot to learn!
thank you for any thoughts/comments

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The vaccines are all produced from killed virus, so no. The Vaccine could not have given the cat Panleukopenia. Likely, he was exposed prior to being pulled from the shelter. Vaccinating won't cause disease. Depending on when they are vaccinated, it can either help bolster the immune response to the disease, or it can weaken the immune system and allow the disease to take over. Unfortunately, there is no real way to know on a cat coming from a shelter environment how strong their immune system is or what viruses may be incubating. Vaccinating right away is the safest option, especially for a rescue group.

Its sad that this little kitty died, but the vaccine didn't kill him.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Kobster!
So, it is possible that this particular kitty was already ill and the vaccine stressed out his immune system too much? That makes sense.

I guess I need to get over my fear and get these two their second shot.

My rescue group pulls from this very very nasty "shelter". It is very small, poorly ventilated, old,. There is no quarantine room, all the cats are housed together. They are given food, water, shelter and nothing else. They have an extremely large group of cities that they house from and it is so terribly sad. That is why the rescue tries to get some of the good ones out of there. Sadly, they euth many, many cats monthly. With no vaccination and no quarantines, even healthy cats end up ill a lot. :fust

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Yes its likely this kitty was already ill. Its BEST to quarantine new cats for at least a week before vaccinating, but in a rescue setting this just isn't a possibility most of the time. The next best thing is to vaccinate right away, knowing that you take the risk of vaccinating a sick cat and making the illness worse. But a healthy cat won't contract the disease from the vaccine. So yours that you've had in quarantine should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts