Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What shots do you get your indoor only cats? I'm taking Skylar to the vet on Tuesday to have his shots updated, but I'm debating about weither or not I want to get him Feline Leukimea or Rabies. He never goes outside, and never has contact with the other cats I bring in from time to time-so are they really necissary? I hate to give him shots he doesn't need.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In most states, your pet MUST have the rabies shot. It is illegal to own a pet without the rabies shot.. But you only need it every 3 years :) I've also heard that you don't really need to give your pets their shots every year... Dr. Jean can give you more details about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here they don't care what you give your cats or other animals. They require rabies for dogs every iother year, but there's nothing for other animals. I was a bit suprised when I was looking at his shot records and saw the rabies expires one year after it is given, because I too was under the impression that they're good for 3 years in cats.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The only necessary shots for an inddor cat is distemper and cat flu. Rabies of course if it's required by law. I would skip all the other shots no matter what the vet says.

Here in Sweden vaccination against distemper and cat flu is common practise. Vaccination against FIP or FeLV are mostly only recommended if any of the other cats in the household is infected by any of the viruses.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinion Sol. The biggest issue I have with giving rabies is the fact he had it last year! I don't want to over vaccinate. I think I'm going to bypass the FeLV because I just don't see how he'd ever come in contact with that. I'll have to think about the rabies and talk to my vet about it. It's not required by law, and he's never going to be exposed to a rabid animal if he's kept inside 24/7

1 - 5 of 5 Posts