Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering asking my dad for a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas.

I'd like to find a good one $100 or less. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I have a Eureka Model 5856AV/BV that we got from Sam's that was $100 but I can't find this model anymore. It was bagless and a great vacuum but we never fixed the broken belt. If that's not the model #, that is what the vacuum looked like though. :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'd recommend anything without a bag. I'm really impressed with the one we have. Got it from Walmart for about $80 and ended up doing every room like 4 times because of all the stuff it kept sucking up!!

I can't remember what kind it is. I'm thinking a Bissel (close enough)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have a Dirt Devil that is 12amps, bagless with all the attachments and it works very well. I spent about $80 on it. Also, it's not that heavy (I can lift it with one arm) in the event that your father can't life anything heavy (I have no clue how old your father is, so I figured too much information was better than none).

I don't remember the model # or the name, but there are several that are similar in price with the same # of amps. :D

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'd say this is the way to go:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 2035726000

I had a cheap Kenmore like that one (except it wasn't bagless) that lasted about 3 years. It was a good vacuum, I was just rough on it.. and probably shouldn't have tried to fix it on my own. :oops:

Kenmore vacuums come with a one year warranty and since it's from Sears it's very easy to get serviced or replaced if need be. The HandiMate Jr is pretty good on furniture too.

Sorry if I sound like a salesperson. I used to work at Sears and for a while sold Vacuums, so I really do believe in them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Padunk- since you are the vacuum guy, I have a question. I have been thinking about the Hoover vacuum that has the kangaroo on the commercial. Do you think that would be a good one?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hoover sucks. They used to be the largest employer in my hometown, but Maytag bought them out and ran teh company into the ground. There are still a few models made in Canton, but most are made in Mexico. I currently own two, and to be honest, you can get a much better vacuum for the money if you look around. The only reason they sell any vacuums at all is because of the name, which means nothing now and pretty soon consumers will catch on. :evil:

Edit: I speak from a lifetime of owning Hoovers. I had a 1954 yellow and green Hoover that could suck furniture out of the room, they dun make them like that anymore, that's all I'm saying. Plus, it's been a big local name forever, and now big money and greed has all but destroyed it.

/end rant :roll:

·
Banned
613 Posts
I just got a vacuum cleaner (early X-mas gift for myself!). I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEEE it! Here, let me show it to you and tell you all about it.

It cost $80 at Best Buy, and I've seen it at other places like Target for the same price.

Here are it's features:

12-amp motor provides powerful suction with a 15" cleaning path and edge cleaning

Lightweight design and 2 built-in carrying handles make this vacuum easy to maneuver and carry

Bagless technology and Easy Empty™ dirt container

3-stage filtration system includes 2 washable filters and a HEPA filter

HEPA filter captures 99% of dust mites, pollens and ragweed

7 height adjustments, an extra-long, wire-reinforced stretch hose and a 30' power cord, so you're ready to clean the whole house with ease

On-board tools include a dusting/upholstery tool, extension wand and crevice tool

Headlight helps you see the ground, so you don't accidentally suck up valuables.

I really like this one mostly because the canister is VERY easy to remove, and also because there are three filters in it: two are washable and don't need to be replaced, and the other only costs $12 or $13 to replace every 6 months or so compared to the Dirt Devil bagless vacuum filters that cost $20-$30 to replace.

This definitely sounds like an advertisement, but I just really love my new vacuum.

--Roze

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Mine isn't exactly like the one BaileyAndSammi just posted, but its close enough and was about the same price... I'm very impressed :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
kitkat said:
I have a Eureka Model 5856AV/BV that we got from Sam's that was $100 but I can't find this model anymore. It was bagless and a great vacuum but we never fixed the broken belt. If that's not the model #, that is what the vacuum looked like though. :D
I second the Eureka bagless. They series is called the Eureka Whirlwind (some are all the "Lightspeed" version), it's a bagless upright and it ROCKs. When I got this vacuum we still had our Rottie and the cats and our son...so we had fur and crumbs galore...these things are powerful, the hose is a little wider so stuff never gets stuck and it's so easy to empty without having the bag. Here's a link to epinions on these vacuums and their reviews

epinions eureka whirlwind
This is the model that I have 5858AV:
http://www.eureka.com/products/upright/ ... 5848av.jsp

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. The only thing I'd ever trade it in for is a Dyson...and that's just because I want one just to have one...I've never even used a dyson. I paid about $128 for this one at Walmart and that was almost 2 years ago. I've seen it cheaper. The only thing I'd suggest is that you NOt spend any extra money to get the "spin duster" attachment on the side, it truly is a little novelty thing and rarely gets used except maybe to dust off the t.v.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with catnip, I hate Hoover vacuums. I have one now because it was the only reasonably priced one at Costco when I needed to get a new one. It leaves stuff on the floor. I hate it hate it hate it! I would recommend a Eureka. That's the ones I usually buy, and should have bought!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a Hoover Bagless -- the kind that folds down. Anyway, it is a piece of junk...it doesn't pick up anything. I just bought a new filter, and it's working a little better, but I still have to get down on the floor and use the attachments to get anything to pick up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts