Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just unpacked a box of random kitchen stuff (yay moving...lol) and found my glad plugin. It got me thinking. I know that when my kitties come home from the vet, esp if it wasn't all of them going, I rub them with a towel and a drop of vanilla. This helps the other kitties from getting upset since everyone then smells pleasantly like vanilla.

I know that you can get a vanilla scented fill for the glad plug in and I'm wondering if it might help my kitties settle in to this new place? I know it won't work like a pheromone diffuser, but those are expensive and I'm broke, lol. Could vanilla maybe just ease things a teeny bit???

Mostly I'm just curious. I may give it a go and see how it works. The refills are only like $3, and I like vanilla anyways.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Hm. What a great theory! I guess, since you use it to get everyone smelling the same and calmed down after a trip away, maybe they would associate the scent with being calm and "normal"? At the very least, I think it would be familiar to them... I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I don't think vanilla itself has a calming effect. The vanilla just masks the strange antiseptic vet scent for a kitty who is just home from the vet, and gives everybody a communal or "family" scent. The kitties probably wouldn't care if it was vanilla, or patchouly, or anything else, as long as it didn't smell unpleasant to them, and everybody smelled the same.

If you're moving, keep the furry members of your family inside for a few weeks after the move, so their instincts won't lead them astray.

If the kitties happen to associate the smell of vanilla with some pleasant memories, the vanilla glade plug-in might help.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will try it. They all really seem to like the smell. They won't leave the towel i use to rub them down with alone. lol, i have to hide it or wash it right away.

All four of my guys are indoors only, but during the summer the boys and torri will get to go out on a leash for short supervised adventures :D

To get them used to the new house I kept them in one room for the first few nights. Things were going really well, no fighting ect. I let Torri out into the house first and let her settle in for a few days by herself. Since she's the most cautious/nervous/shy. I was hoping if she had that time then she'd be braver.

Well I let the boys out for a little bit last night, since she gets along with them well, and it was good. The boys explored, behaved themselves, and didn't scare Torri. I locked them back up for the night though because there's still too many boxes I don't want them to get into.

I let them out again this morning, and they were good (other than driving their daddy nuts, lol). Tonight I tried letting Jitzu out and she was good for the first 1/2 hr or so. Then she decided to start harassing Torri again. I really can't let her do that! Torri just get's scared and hides, and Jitzu won't let her out. I can't just let Jitzu terrorize Torri anymore. I was hoping all the things we did, including moving, might help. But I don't know. I feel bad keeping jitzu locked up..and she yowls and hates it, but I still need to protect all the kitties!

I do use a pheromone spray, and I sprayed the whole house, and that helps calm her down. But she still chases Torri. I don't let her do it, and I praise the girls when they do get along. Treats near each other, pets nearby. Things like that. But I can't help wondering if it'll ever get better. At the last house it got to the point that Torri only felt safe in our room, and I feel bad having her just be a room cat! She likes playing with the boys, but she's scared of Jitzu.

*sighs* it's so frustrating...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts