Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my kitties, I'm not sure which one because they both use the same box, has loose stool.

This whole week I've been giving them brands like Merricks before grain and wellness core and then yesterday for a couple meals I gave them friskies pâté, would that cause this?? Angus does not seem to be eating right away when I put out the food, I would think he is eating properly, all the food is gone later. I don't want to have to open up four different cans each meal for him to pick one he likes, so I give him one and he usually eats a bit and then saunters over to nutmegs food.

I'm just worried about the non formed stool I found this morning. :/

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
114 Posts
yes you are giving them two very good brands of food and one not so good one just stick with one brand. My cats get blue buffalo freedom grain free dry food and for wet food fancy feast gravy lovers but in different flavors we know they don't like the beef flavor but they do like the others. Why do you buy three different brands?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I bought a few different brands of the good stuff to see which one they liked, and I gave them some friskies only because it's quite expensive to feed upwards of 3-4 bucks a day on the canned and I still have several cans of the friskies which I bought before I adventured into better brands. :/ guess I will try sticking to the better stuff, don't really want sick kitties. :) I'd rather feed them good stuff and eat ramen myself anyways.

The joys of being a college student.

·
Registered
114 Posts
are they just eating wet food or do you also feed them dry? it is not for what food is better it is giving them to many different ones so i think there body does what it does it would be like giving them a different dry food for every meal that is all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wet food, they have dry food that they can graze on, since I can be gone for several hours during the day, they usually get the wet at 830a, 12 if I'm home, for the kitten, 4pm and then before I go to sleep around 11. That way it's spaced out and they don't gorge themselves once or twice a day. They don't eat a ton of dry food, maybe a quarter cup every three days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iams cat food for angus and then purina kitten chow for nutmeg. Granted they both mix and match taking from each others bowls, :) once I finish up these bags, i got these when I adopted them, I will probably get a higher quality one

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok cause i was thinking it could be the dry food the dry food i feed my cat is good and only cost 32.00 at petsmart he was on blue buffalo wildness but it is now 35.00 a bag which was to high so i changed him over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some kitties are more sensitive to new foods than others. Merrick and Wellness are both high-protein, low grain foods. Friskies is, well, cat McDonalds (as I've heard it called, lol). If one of your cats isn't use to it, the extra carbs may not be agreeing with their digestive system. (Fast food cramp?)

Process of elimination: try removing Friskies from their diet and see how it goes. Also, it may take a few days for their systems to accept the new food, if you have to feed them cheaper wet food, it may take a week or so before they're comfortable with it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Friskies gives Io loose and stinky poos. I think it's the most likely culprit. If you can't afford the higher-end stuff regularly, you might try experimenting with different lower-cost foods to find one that disagrees with them less?

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO, I think quality food when thy are young can make a difference in their health and well being later in ife. I switch between Canned Evo, Tiki Cat, Wellness and BFF. They get mostly EVO because they LOVE the duck and the Turkey and Chicken is pretty tastey (apparently) too. The others are all Tuna based so they get those less frequently. For Dry they have Evo Chicken and Turkey at their disposal at all times.

Now, as for the eating a few bites and then walking away....One of my cats does that. Eats a little of her food then leaves for awhile. When she comes back, she eats the left overs from her "brothers" bowl, like she's saving hers for a snack later.

Just read your labels and avoid anything that says anything about "digest" of any kind. And with cat food, some sort of meat should always be the first ingrediant on the label.

We never have problems with runny stools, but mine are older an have always been fed a rotating wet variety

1 - 11 of 11 Posts