Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat it 5 yrs old, she eats in the kitchen, and only one kind of dry and caned. She has never really been overweight, 8.7 lbs. My husband thinks the cat wants a varity so he has a dish of dry in the basement with 3 different kinds of food, not all mixed together, one kind today, another kind tomorrow etc. I don't know if Pokey really eats much of it, but I think she does. I don't like this because now I don't know how much she is eating. Also she was lost for 16 days (stollen) she somehow got away and came back home 2 days ago. She lost 1 1/2 lbs, but is OK otherwise, thank Heaven. Anyway I think especially now she should only eat one kind of food. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Actually it is better for them to have a bit of variety. It prevents them from becoming to finicky and from developing food allergies.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I agree a variety is good, both nutritionally and also for your kitty.

I know my 5 like different types, especially when my food supplier slips in samples of other brands. I feed them dry food (better for teeth) everyday, and canned food once a week.

Nutritionally, not all foods might be as balanced as they advertise, so mixing foods is a good way to make sure your cat gets as balanced a diet as possible.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine get variety too. I don't change brands daily though. I use one brand for several months and then gradully change to another brand for another several months, ect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
threecats, you might want to check out some of the articles on www.littlebigcat.com regarding dental health and dry food. It turns out that is an old wive's tale and wet really is all-around better.

I definitely agree that variety is better. I try to switch up the flavors of canned food and now I'm trying to add in different brands as well. So far it's not going so great, but my cats are young and pretty easy going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts