Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

Is any of you giving vegetarian food to his/ her cat?

In my country (France) vegetarianism is not a common way of life for humans... let alone for cats! I don't know any vegetarian cat.

Actually, I didn't want to impose a vegetarian diet on my cat, although feeding her with ready-made cat food didn't suit me either. I don't dare imagine what they put in it (bits of cancerous cows, horses, dogs put to sleep at the vet's??!!!). Anyway, when I realised that my cat would eat anything, even stale bread that I keep for horses, I thought I might give it a try! I ordered a small pack of vegetarian dry food for cats and... she loved it! So I know I can feed her with it, but is it really healthy (there is a taurine supplement in it)?

If you know vegetarian cats who live on a vegetarian diet, please tell me. I don't want to ruin my cat's health.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello Titia and welcome to the Forum :)
If you fear for your kitty's health - not knowing how healthy the meat in the food is (which is understandable especially these days) - try to fix your kitty the meal yourself. It is probably healthier. I just don't think that vegetarianism is good for cats that are a carnivorous species.
My advice is to focus on recipes you can make yourself - having tested all the ingredients yourself. We have a section in the forum where there are recipes posted- you may find more information there also :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
i am a vegetarian myself, but i would never make my cat be one. cats are carnivores, they need to eat meat. what you can do is look for a food that uses all human grade ingredients, or as ioana said, make it yourself! :D

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I have heard the same thing as said above. Cats are carnivores and need meat. I would recommend feeding your cat high quality food with natural ingredients and if you are worried about the beef aspect of the food, which alot of people are worried about, try turkey or chicken and lots of foods do have vegetables in it like Chicken Soup or Felidae. :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Absolutely give her a quality food which has meat or chicken as a first ingredient. Dr.Jean believes that canned food is best. I give my cats dry and canned. Check the ingredients!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
vegetarian cats?

Cats should not be made into vegetarians. While it is possible to create a "complete and balanced" diet for cats using extracted or synthetic vitamins, I have not seen cats do well as vegetarians, much less vegans.

I talk to a lot of vegetarian and vegan people, used to be one myself! But if you are going to have a cat, I believe you need to honor the cat's essential nature as a carnivore, and feed what he needs for optimal health. That means meat.

For several articles about feline nutrition, please visit our free article library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library .

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
283 Posts
From what I've read on the subject, dogs can be turned into a vegetarian without compromising their health with special dog foods, but cats generally develop health problems, especially with their eyes, on vegetarian foods. I'm working towards becoming a vegetarian. I don't eat red meats, and I eat very little other meat, but I'd never inflict such a diet on my animals-as others have mentioned, cats are carnivore and really need meat in thier diet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for your answers.
I started trying vegetarian dry food last week and my kitty doesn't like it so much now... so obviously, there is something missing in it. So I give her her usual "Royal Canin" food; it doesn't contain any meat by-product, just dehydrated chicken as a first ingredient. I hope it is healthy (the vet recommended it).

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
From what i have read royal canin is a pretty good food. Cats need some of the stuff (LoL sorry for the lack of techinical term!) that is in meat, and can only come from meat, cats are carnivores, dogs are omnivores, hence dogs can go on a vegitarian diet.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cats can't live a healthy life on vegetarian food. One good reason is that they need the amino acid Taurin and Taurin can only be found in meat. Without Taurin the cat will go blind.

I'm a vegetarin but having cats means that I have to accept their nature, and that is them being carnivores. Today they eat commersial food but I'm learning how to make my own cat food soo I can give them food made of high quality products (organically grown, ecological meat and so on).

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm curious as to why anyone would want to change a dog (or a cat) into a vegetarian :?: Although bears eat berries and Pooh bear loves honey, I have not heard of a wolf passing up a sheep for a can of green beans.

I understand your love for all animals, but nature has made the dog family omnivores, and it seems to me that when we interfere with nature, we usually make huge mistakes. I know that dogs are willing to eat vegetables. I had a collie who would "show" for a french fry, but if I had kept her on that kind of a diet, she would not have been a show dog very long. They are not herbivores. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I value nature and the environment and I believe God knew what he was doing. I am reminded again of William Blake's "Tiger, tiger, burning bright....

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Although there is much more to this poem ( and it has a companion piece about a lamb), I believe part of Blake's point is that we are challenging the creator of the earth, "How dare you?" How can I understand how You, who created the gentle lamb, could create such a horrid beast? To me that is God, to others, perhaps nature herself.

The Tiger

William Blake (1757–1827)

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies 5
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 10
And, when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? What the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp 15
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water’d heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee? 20

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If I understand you, Emma, then you are finding fault with the way dog and cat food are made, not with the act of feeding dogs and cats meat. No animal should have to die a torturous death, I agree. Let's change that, not deny the meat that cats and dogs need need in their diets. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
taurine

The only *natural* source of taurine is meat. However, all taurine supplements that you buy in the store are synthetically made from chemicals, I think in Japan or Asia somewhere, because the process is too toxic to be allowed in the US.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts