Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom hit a deer the other night :( It was pitch black and they ran into the road. She was doing the speed limit, and started to brake, and thinking the deer had stopped she veered to avoid it. Well, the deer did not stop, and she struck it with her right front end. Unfortunately, the deer's leg was broken and the police officer on the scene finished it off mercifully. Well........

Now we have a lot of venison in our freezer, steaks and also ground meat. Is this okay for the kitties to have some? Do I need to freeze it for any amount of time?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I know Nutro makes a canned food that has venison in it so I would assume cats could eat it. Dont know about the storage/cooking part though.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, our state does not. We have a relatively healthy deer population, so I think it'd be okay, but I wanted to ask.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm surprised....isn't it illegal to remove the deer? It's illegal here in my state....

But that's ok, =o). I don't have anything else to add. :lol:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're in back woods country here :lol: Because the deer was killed by an officer and wasn't "contaminated" (i.e. the meat was somehow exposed to dirt or whatnot, the death was recent and there was no rotting), they usually allow the person to take it or they donate it to a food pantry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts