Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kitten we saved about 3 months ago went from a calm nervous kitten,to a crazy one.He stays in my room most of the time,and ive luckily trained him enough to behave a little in my room,but when we let him out in the house,he completely goes crazy.He runs throught the house non-stop pulling off table cloths,grabing paper towels and toilet paper and dragging it through the house.He even trys to pull the big fan over,he almost crushed himself once by jumping and grabing hold of the fan and knocking it over inches from him.Instead he knocked over 3 plants -.-.He also attacks the other 3 main house cats alot and really annoys them,especially Liza.She will hiss at him and try to bite him and he keeps attacking her.o_O.

Does anybody have any advice,or anyway I can get him to stop?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
It may be because he's so terribly excited to be allowed in the rest of the house. Why is he restricted to your room? I can't imagine that being ideal for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Oh, and if he is still a kitten, it's likely that he's playing with them and they aren't liking it much. That could be because they haven't been properly introduced. If the kitten spends most of the time in your room and then suddenly comes flying through the house, it's no wonder that they hiss at him.

You should probably start all over ad re-introduce them and then let him have free roam of the house after this has been done. Otherwise the cats will never get used to him and he'll never get used to his "freetime" through out the rest of your house and will continue to get into trouble.

There are many, many threads in the forum on how to introduce your kitten to resident cats and also the re-introduction process, which is basically the same thing.

Good Luck. :wink:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yup, definitely go for a gradual introduction process. Kittens and puppies can really offend the dignity of adult cats...they're just trying to play (think about how a litter of kitens play with each other), but end up inadvertantly invading the older cat's space, which is very distressing to the adult. Something else that might help a bit is several structured play sessions every day, so that the kitten can learn what is an appropriate cat toy (mouse-on-a-string) and what isn't an appropriate cat toy (electric fans, plants, your toes). Otherwise, the kitten will probably continue to make his own fun, and with an energetic kitten/adolescent, that's a recipe for destruction. Dr. Jean has some good articles about introducing new cats/kittens and play therapy at littlebigcat.com.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hes restricted to my room because my parents don't want him to desroy the house -.-; Anyways,thanks for the help.I'll try re-introducing them.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
One must be prepared to cope with a kitten's energy - it is very rare to have a kitten that won't be rambunctious.
You and him must have several sessions of play per day..especially before going to bed. Re-direct his energy towards the toys whenever he does something he is not supposed. Do not punish im however! When you notice destructive behaviour pick him up right away and take him to the *playground* - where the toys are. Lure him into chasing little balls, feather attached to strings - you will have a blast and in time he will learn that is where fun is dupposed to happen.
One more thing - there are no bad kittens - he is ready for you to mold his personality ...he is just like a kid full of energy and lots of fun. Best of luck and let us know how it goes :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
My cta that is almost a year old sometimes acts like that too..but ive noticed he'll get crazy everytime he wants to play .he'll sometimes just ocme in my room stare at me then run all over the house and go on the table and spill flowers..so my only solution was to play wit him until he was tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts