Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 rescue kitties Lulu and Lexie were dewormed with pyrantel on 6/26, 7/06 by their foster mom. I just took them to the vet on 7/27 and the they were examined but the vet didn't ask for a stool sample. Then about 2 days later Lexie hoped up on the table and when I went to put her down I saw a worm next to her on the table. It was tan or flesh colored and very small about an inch long and was wiggling. I stupidly threw it away. I called my vet they said to bring in a stool sample, we brought in several stools from different areas of the box just to make sure and they called and said they found no worms. they told us we could give them topical for tapeworms if we want. I haven't seen anything that looks like rice or sesame seeds and haven't seen anything in their bedding or litter box . I sounds like it could be a tapeworm but from the pictures I've looked at it looks more like a round worm. they are on advantage and the vet gave me advantage multi which kills hook and round worms that I can give to them at the end of the month, but I'm wondering if we should give them the tapeworm treatment or not, worried if it will hurt them if this isn't the right kind of worm.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It wont hurt them if it is the wrong kind of worm, but of course you don't want to give them anything unnessesary. Sounds like roundworm to me, tapeworms look like a piece of rice. Roundworms look more like a thin piece of spaghetti (sorry if i ruined anyones appetite with that haha)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I really now think it was a round worm it did look like a piece of spaghetti. In about a week and a half I can give them advantage multi and that should take care of it. I won't give them the one for tape worms then unless I or the vet can find evidence that that really was what it is. Just confusing that the vet said they found no worms or eggs in the stool when clearly I saw one and they've been dewormed 2x's, oh well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
thanks, I really now think it was a round worm it did look like a piece of spaghetti. In about a week and a half I can give them advantage multi and that should take care of it. I won't give them the one for tape worms then unless I or the vet can find evidence that that really was what it is. Just confusing that the vet said they found no worms or eggs in the stool when clearly I saw one and they've been dewormed 2x's, oh well.

unfortunately fecal tests for worms are not very accurate. all they do is look at a sample under the microscope, so obviously it would be possible to miss something. I had a fecal done on my cat, they said they didnt find anything, and the next day she threw up a worm :-/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.