Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom line.... I love my cats.... ALOT....
They are both sisters, aprox 1.2 yrs old..... I have treated them both as patiently perfectly as possible...

The other day, I awoke to my house ripped to shreds... Broken glass, major items knocked over in the living room, etc..... MADNESS is all that comes to mind just thinking about it....... I know my cats so KNEW right off the bat which one organized whatever the **** activities took place.........
I was MAD... MADDER than ever.....

I am 27.... I have a hard time sleeping after swapping a fly.... i love ALL animals, insects, more than people........

I slapped my cat "the one I knew was in charge of "whatever the **** went on the night before"....... I slapped my cat on her side... about 3 times, very angry......... It has been 2 days...... my most wonderful, loving cat will not come near me................ Her personality has completely chanaged.... I need help from a person that KNOWS, KNOWS cats and can give me some advice here......... I have NEVER spanked my cat(s) like I did this particular day..... No physical damage was done .. I'd give my house up to fix the problem... I was just simply UPSET at the moment.......

I'm not some idiotic screw-job with cats..... I have a life, love my pets very much, and need to know what to do here....

PLEASE HELP.... Any feedback would be appreciated....
If you have never owned / loved a cat, stay the **** away and do NOT resond to my message.. I am looking for real advice here.... I'll see the VET in a few days if I get no response..

Please email me if possible.

Thankyou much.
Tommy Owen
[email protected]

*edited by Lori*

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I do not know if I can offer a solution, only a reason why your cat is behaving like this.

Cats in an ideal world should be told "No" or whatever form of punishment type of thing you use within 3 seconds I was told, immediately after the incident otherwise they will not relate what happened to the punishment.

Because you awoke in the morning to find this, then punished the cat, the cat is confused and does not know why you did this. Was the cat coming to greet you when you spanked it? If so it may now feel it cannot do this.

Maybe if you take it slow with her, offer her treats, then pet her etc gradually she'll come around.

Dr. Jean should drop by this thread and may be able to offer some advice - she is a vet with many articles on different types of behaviour and health in cats.

Sorry I couldn't help more
Hayley x x

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the above; the cat very likely didn't know why it was being punished, and is now a little wary of you. I can't imagine that this will last too long, if you do your best to be soothing and "make amends".

Also, forgive yourself. We all make mistakes, especially when we are angry, and it is easy to forget that a cat (or any animal) may not know/undersatnd it's being punished for something we think should be obvious. Give the posters here a chance, too.....you don't need to be defensive. We're all human (I hope).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
We ARE all human here.
Take it as a lesson learned and next time you are really mad just walk away or go in another room.

I DO think that in time your cat will warm up to you again. Once it realizes you are not a threat, things should work out...it's probably just as upset as you are right now!

·
Registered
166 Posts
And we all know how cats can hold grudges. I think it'll work out in the end, just give it a little time. Maybe buy some special treats or something?

I've not had a problem with the cat, but I know exactly what you mean about losing your temper... our dog tests our patience so much, and sometimes I just don't know what to do. :( I had to put him in the bedroom for a very long time early this week because I was SO upset with him.

Try not to beat yourself up too much. He wasn't physically hurt, he's just uspet like you are.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hey, we all have bad days when we "lose it." Some are worse than others! So, please forgive yourself and let's work on the current situation and avoiding problems in the future.

All your cat knows from this is that a trusted person suddenly attacked him...it will take time and patience to re-establish that trust. EFT and flower essences (Rescue Remedy for example) can be very helpful. Please see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=010
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... foranimals

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Please, don't beat yourself up over this. You lost your temper and you're upset about it, but you need to move on. You're going to need to work for your cat's love, though - as many on here said, cats hold grudges. :)

I wish you the best of luck with your cat - give it time and don't force anything. I'm sure he's just as upset as you are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts