Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting -- its own little trap door underneath.

Funny you bring up carriers. We're taking Murphy to the vet on Friday for shots, so I brought up the carrier last night to leave in the living room, just to get him used to it. He was immediately all over the thing, getting in it, licking it, rubbing his cheek, jumping on top .... funny boy! He apparently has a thing going with his carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Reminds me of when Jamie's cousins were visiting over the summer - Gracie was desperate to stay out of their way - especially Simon who is an incredibly rambunctious five year old (who measured over 100 on the decibel scale, I kid you not - measured on Hubby's iPhone app). The kids were camped in the living room but would run all over the house. One time we could not find her anywhere - until I saw a rounded shape tucked way back in her carrier next to the piano!! Right in the living room, the best hiding place she could ever have chosen! Nobody found her but me, and I kept her secret...:)

Fran

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We leave it out all of the time, with handmade blankets inside. We find them in there a lot.
And they have claimed the dog crate too - the biggest one they make in plastic.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I guess it depends on the cat. Before my former housemate moved cross-country, she tried leaving the carrier out so her cat Autumn would get accustomed to it and stop hiding under the bed whenever she saw it.

A few days later, she broke down and put the carrier away -- and as soon as it was gone, Autumn came back out from under the bed. :) Autumn is stubborn that way. (The attempt to get Autumn used to a harness by leaving it on her until she stopped creeping around like a poor crippled kitty didn't go so well, either.)

When I got my big new carrier before MY cross-country move with my cats, I tried putting it out in hopes the cats would get comfortable with it. They didn't seem to be afraid of it. But despite the fact they had never seen it before, and so couldn't possibly have any negative associations with it, I never once saw them get into it voluntarily. This is from animals who usually can't wait to explore any new box or bag, in an apartment totally devoid of furniture or other places to hide. It's like somehow they KNEW.

Misty's trick with the small soft-sided carriers I use for vet visits is to arch her back and stretch her legs to be as tall as possible. She knows I have trouble zipping the carrier shut that way.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Sorry guys, I deleted a spam post without realizing that there were responses to it. But this thread seems to be carrying on even without the first post...so have at it. Just thought I'd explain why it starts off kind of strange...

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Thanks, Lisa. I'm very tired and thought I missed something important in the beginning! 8O

Cinderella HATES being in the carrier and will moan, "Nooooooo" over and over during the entire car ride AND while at the vets.

Yet, she hangs out in one at home. :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts