Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks, and I was hoping someone could help me out.

Last night I adopted a 6 month old cat at around 6 in the evening. I brought him home, and he is very scared. He's been sitting in the corner of my closet all night, and I don't think he's come out. He hasn't eaten anything or even come out for a drink of water, and hasn't used the litter box. He is in my bedroom, and I have been in here all night with him. He'll let me sit in the closet and pet him, but he won't take anything from me.

Is there something special I can feed him that would make him more inclined to eat, or anything I can do for him to make him feel better? Should I leave him alone in the room so he can relax without anyone near? I'm very worried about him.

Thanks for any advice,
Juli

·
Registered
214 Posts
In my opinion, with new cats, it just takes them awhile to get used to their new surroundings. Gandalf didn't come out of the bedroom for a week when we first got her... we just left the food and litterbox in there for her... once she started coming out, we moved them into the kitchen... I say just try to pet and play with him as much as possible (to show him you are very loving and won't hurt him) but don't try to force him... he'll start coming out more... give him time... If after, say a week or so, he STILL hasn't come out or eaten anything... there may be a bigger problem. But I don't think it's that important... he's just a little scared... He'll come out on his own.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You should give him a little space and let him get settled, but no need to leave him all alone. Most cats are very shy and timid their first couple of days in a new home. Just make sure that food, water and a litter box are somewhere in the room he's hiding in. Pet him, talk quietly to him and let him warm up to you. He should be lovey in no time. Congrats on the new kitty!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree don't worry about it, I have more or less the same problem with Radar, it took about a week for him to vernture out from under our bed while we were up, he would usually wait till night and run to the litter box and food. Now he is a little braver, but still hides and I've had him 3 weeks, but when I go to bed he'll jump on the bed and I will pet him and talk to him and play with him hopeing that he will get braver still. but it really isn't something that will happen over night. When we got Willow she was the same but a took half an hour every night to play with her till she truseted me.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Sounds like very typical new kitten behavior. It should last a few days but anything more than that if he is not eating or drinking or using the box should get him to the vet immediately. He may just come out at night when you're not around to do this. Don't rush anything b/c he will be afraid of you. Just let him come to you and give him treats and such and they love string. Just dangle one around and play and make sure you put that string up in a safe place b/c one of my cats love to eat string. My cats hid behind my computer monitor when I first got them and now they roam the whole apt. like it is theirs. Don't worry soon enough your cat will own your place too, hehe :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Juli,

I just was concerned too, and wanted to check in seeing as though it has been more than a few days. On the positive side, he is letting you into his safe space to pet him which will allow for initial headway, I think. Flower essences, if you haven't tried them, would be wonderful for the little guy. Visit http://www.spiritessence.comfor more info on essence, how to administer, and what remedy would be best. I would reccomend "Adjustment," but Dr. Jean, who formulated all of the remedies, could also hear his story and come up with an individual remedy for him.

Also, I agree that we have to keep a close eye out. A few days without poop or pee is potentially very dangerous. If he still hasn't gone, not that we want to sound like a broken record, get him into the vet ASAP.

Finally, sounds like you're doing a great job in socializing him. I would remember the key words in his intro are: passivity and patience. Let him come to you, explore your "bubble" as it were. Sit with him, but always let him have the perception that he has an escape route from you. Limit physical handling and even eye contact in favor of soft talking. He'll let you know when it's time to move on.

Hope that helps and best to you both :lol:
Jackson

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for all the replies.

He's mostly doing better now, he eats, drinks, and uses his litter box. He's developed a few new problems though.

He'll come out to play at night, pretty late, around 1 or 2, and he is extremely noisy and rambunctious. He runs all over the room, jumps all over everything, and meows. I've tried playing with him for an hour or two before I go to bed around 11 in addition to playing with him throughout the day, but it doesn't seem to phase him. He seems to have an endless amount of energy even if he hasn't been sleeping. Also, during the day he really doesn't want to play much, only at night. He is still hiding in my closet during the day, and won't come out until nighttime. Any suggestions on other ways to help calm him down at night?

Also, he's had some diarrhea, but I'm pretty sure that's just because of the food change. I don't know what he was eating before. I also made the mistake of feeding him some tuna for a few days when he refused to eat anything else. How long should the sensitivity to the new food last? Should I try switching foods again to something milder, since I read that some cats can be allergic to things like corn?

Thanks,
Juli

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My cats are very active at night. In the daytime, you could go in "his" room, turn on some soft classical music and just sit and read, talking softly. (You could keep the drapes or blinds closed and gradually brighten the room as he gets more comfortable.) Talk softly to the kitten and, as littlebigcatdaddy said, just sit there and let him make the first move. All the first moves! He'll come out to see you because he trusts you. Praise him for coming. Perhaps a treat is in order.

Gradually lighten the room, and eventually move closer and closer to the door. Eventually, open the door and sit outside the door. In other words, acclimate him gradually to a daytime situation that is always pleasant, and, at first, quiet. Be very patient. It might take a week or a month, but don't rush him. Let him choose the timing. If he uses more energy in the daytime, he will probably rest more at night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great stuff all around! :lol:
1st off, it's a great sign, all of what you're describing in terms of his progress. Really wonderful. Believe me, what you're sacrificing in terms of the night crazies is something that can be taken down. It's so much easier to do that part! Remember his age; 6 months basically signals the onset of kitty puberty...Which means pushing limits, running ragged, etc. Basically, he's beginning to act like a normal kitten.

2nd off, got to agree wholeheartedly with everything Jeanie said. Really important to remember progress measured in really small amounts. He may have had a behavioral "growth spurt" this week, and it may slow down considerably, but the more you stick with the routine, you'll see him move down this road. Whether he's spending a minute per every five days less in the closet, that's progress!

I'd also reccomend play therapy coming earlier in the evening, not right before you go to bed. It might be a bit unreasonable to expect him to be fully pooped out at 1 or 2 AM after playing at 11.

As per the poop, what did you switch him to? A little tuna shouldn't be affecting his system for too too long.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!
Jackson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts