Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have a elderly male cat that has become very vocal. When he is on his blanket on the couch he is quiet. The moment he gets off, he starts with his yowling sounds. It continues when he visits the litter, he does this till he gets back to his blanket. It last 45min. to an hour sometimes. He is healthy and eats well. He is not in pain, for I have checked him out myself. It's getting to the point where it is affecting me. Going to the vet would be a very expensive for me because I am on a fixed income.
Is anyone experiencing the same thing or have gone through this and what was the verdict?.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,388 Posts
My Cleo does this and it drives me crazy. It's gotten worse over the past two years. Mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep. If I call her name loud enough, she'll stop and come in the bedroom. But she wakes me up all the time, so I do understand what you're going through. She's due for a vet visit soon, but the last one was fine, so I don't know if she just wants attention or what. She's 13, but runs around and is very active. Sometimes I think she just likes the sound of her voice echoing through the house. But she's a cat, and they don't think like that. I seriously think it's just for attention, because she does stop if I call out her name a few times. She also does it when I'm up and not in the bedroom, but if I just call out her name once, she'll stop.

She used to do it only when she carried a toy around in her mouth. That's how it started out.

Well, I've been no help at all, but I do understand what you're going through.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Some elderly cats do this loud meowing when they are elderly......have had it happen with some of mine over the years. They're not in pain, but may be having some dimentia (yes, cats get that too!). One of my girls who was about 16 yrs. at the time used to go into an empty room and howl like that, and if I went to the doorway of the room, called her and stomped my foot on the floor she would come to me.....it was as if she didn't know how to get out of the room. She was also losing her hearing, which I think was related to the howling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Marie: That's exactly what my Scrapper is doing. Keeps me up at night also. I really don't know what to do, he is driving me crazy also. Thanks for your info, we will just have to grin and bare it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Perhaps he's losing his sight or his hearing and feels confused and isolated unless he's on his few "safe spaces"? As mentioned above, possible dementia coming on. Sad. Yes, it would drive me nuts too.

Not much help, sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would to thank the members who replied to my post. To #5 it could be cat dementia. I will have keep an eye on him moving forward. When I rescued Scrapper he was a free roamer, he has been a house cat for many years now. He came home one day with a large gash on his head. This happened many years ago when he was younger. This may be affecting him now. Other than that he eats well and is not looking for a place to succumb.

Thanks Again
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes they will do it if they are starting to have visual problems and can’t see where they are going or can’t tell where you are. Does he do the same thing if you call out his name or follow him to let him know he’s safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I call his name and ask him to be quiet, he doesn't pay any attention. He just continues to yowl. He is not going blind or losing his hearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts