Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Bengal named Samurai.

My Sam is sick. He's been slowely losing his appetite during the last 3 weeks. I tried all sorts of food hoping he was just being picky. He's been drinking ok and showing no ill signs in the litterbox but sleeps all the time.
He won't even look at food now.
I took him to the vet today.
He was kinda wobbly on his feet, but breathing fine. He is slightly dehydrated and has mild jaundice. He's lost a little over a pound and it really shows on his frame.
I'm very worried and the vet is at a loss. All we can do is wait for the test results tomarrow. They injected fluids to help his dehydration.
I brought him home from a breeder and had him neutered, vaccinated and screened. He's an indoor cat and has yet to come in contact with another animal.
I keep reading this board and to be honest I'm more scared now after reading about some of those horrible diseases. :(

Jess

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hi Jess,
Please be strong - I know some diseases sound bad but a lot of them can be overcome. Samurai may need a change in food/diet. Or this may be simply a drop in his system that needs imediate attention - like extra vitamins and such.
Have you tried luring him with treats - is he refusing to eat at all lately? You could offer him wet food that is high in calories - he will not only get quiete a little bit of nutrition (even if he doesn't it a lot of it) but also some liquid intake. I have heard Jeanie once mentioning Nutrical (?) but I am not sure if it is wet food or not - just recommneded when kitties are not eating well.
Let us kow as soon as possible how your baby is doing. I will keep you both in my thougts.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi Jess. I will be praying for you and Sam. Please try to stay positive, but I know it can be hard. Please know that I am thinking of you and wishing Sam the best. Take care.

·
Registered
697 Posts
One of my cats terminally ill and I tell ya, turning to this forum with updates with my cat has been such a emotional relief from all the warm and wonderful support which helped me get through each day.
All these wonderful people here on the forum supported me from the beginning and continue to this day. You are in good company. You and your beautiful cat are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just wanted to add my support and hope that it's nothing serious. Also, to say that Sam is absolutely beautiful!

Please let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much. I'm still waiting on the results. I've tried giving him all types of food and he just does a little growl and tries to get away from it as fast as possible.
He mustered up a couple little meows for me this morning but than went back to sleep. He won't even purr.
I miss him batting some silly paper ball around or yelling at me in the kitchen for more water because he spilled it on purpose again.

I'm glad I can come here and talk about it. I barely slept last night.

Jess

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Jess, I'm so sorry this is happening to your poor kitty. I hope you find out soon what the problem is and that it is minor. Please keep us updated.

:cry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vet just called.
He said Sam's kidney and sugar levels are ok.
He tested high on bilrubin which I expected because of the jaundice.
FeLv tested negative.
Globulin levels are high.
He has an antibody in his system associated with FiP. The vet thinks his immune system may have fought it off when he was a kitten, but still not sure.
He is a bit anemic so the vet suggested we try some antibiotics for Hemobart. Just a guess so far, but we have to try something.
I'm taking him in for more fluid injections and to start him on the meds today.
Pretty much a shot in the dark at this point.

Jess

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Try to hang in there, Jess. I'm really glad his kidneys are OK at this point..that is good news!!! I will keep thinking the best thoughts for you both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet gave him a fluid injection and a shot of b vitamin to stimulate his appetite. He's on Doxy now. Time to wait and see.

Jess

·
Registered
263 Posts
You could definitely try nutracal, it comes in a little tube (or at least it used to), and really boosts the little guys. It smells like liver, and my chihuahua absolutely loved it. It is just a supplement that helps to nourish sick or small animals. If you still can't get him to eat, I would try it. Good luck and I hope your baby gets better.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jess, have you tried offering him Gerber's baby food in the beef, chicken, or lamb flavors? That is what my veterinarian uses to entice sick animals to eat, and it works almost every time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone. I keep trying to feed him. He notices I have food for him and comes over, but when he gets close he just turns around and goes back to his corner to sleep. I've tried all kinds of food and he just tries to get away from it.
He want's nothing to do with food and now he won't drink at all either.
Still hoping the meds work but will probably have to take him back to vet tomarrow.

Jess

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sam developed a fever. He's being kept at the vet tonight so they can try some new meds and keep him on IV. The vet told me to start thinking about putting him to sleep.
The vet left the room so I picked Sam up off of the exam table and put him on the floor. He wanted so bad for me to open the blinds so he could soak up some sun and see outside. I sat there watching him enjoy the view. Something told me to give him a chance. He was too much of a spunky cat to give up this easily. I hope I'm right. Thank you for the prayers.

Jess

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jess, first let me say that I am so sorry Sam has had another setback. I keep thinking back to when I have gone through illnesses with my cats, and really sympathize with you. It is one of the hardest things to go through. Now, let me say that I think you know Sam better than ANYONE; you are his mom. I don't even know him, and it seems a bit soon to give up on him, especially since he is young. Just keep doing whatever YOU feel is right, and know that you have support here.

Ianthe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jess --

I am going through something very similar with my cat Peter. Very similar symptoms and a suspicion of FIP. I send you hugs and support and love for your kitty. Don't put him to sleep without getting a second opinion. Even if you trust your vet. Also, ask your vet about vitaminC injections, which are an alternative treatment for FIP, as I am finding out. If you can get a homeopathic vet's opinion, that might also give you some more options.
Don't give up on Sam. My best to you both!
Rid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all. I'm sorry to hear about your cat Riddle. The vet is leaning toward FIP also. I'll check out your advice.
Sam's fever did break last night so the vet thinks it was due to the meds he tried first. He is still lethargic and is starting to have periods of disorientation. The vet is monitering him through the weekend. I contacted the breeder to keep her informed and get some insight.

Jess

1 - 20 of 40 Posts