Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old kitten, he had a very cool personality. Laid back, quiet, more like a dog. He got into my prescriptions yesterday. I only had two and a half lorazapam left and he ate them. They were the 1mg ones. So he ate 2.5mgs. I am very worried, he is walking around like he is drunk and falls off of things. His pupils are dilated and he is chattering a lot. Could this have messed up his brain? Will he ever be normal again? He still does all the normal cat stuff, eat, use litter box, play only its like he is always drunk. He is also wanting to be near me more and circles my head at night...:( I can't afford a vet visit at this time. Please help!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Call a vet asap. Don't wait till morning. Even if you can't bring him in they might be able to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I wouldn't really know, it may take some time to work out of his system, but try to find a way to get him to the vet ASAP. Oh, and keep the meds out of his reach and in cat-proof bottle from now on. Hope he's ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to put them in a drawer. I keep them in one of those M-F things and he knows how to open cupboards. I am assuming he opened it and knocked it down and thought it was a neat play thing since they rattle in the container. It looks like he chewed it open. I hope it wears off soon!

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
You actually might try calling a poison control center or something similar. I know there are hotlines that you can call 24 hours in cases like these. They may not know what the effects are on cats specifically, but they could probably tell you if his reaction is typical and when the effects will wear off.

That happened to a friend of mine - I don't remember what the med was, but her cat reacted the same way. The vet said it would just take a couple of days to wear off, and he's been just fine (this was 2 years ago or so).

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Your kitten has taken a massive overdose of a very strong drug. The potential side effects are related to central nervous system depression, which may include confusion, lethargy, decreased reflexes, sleepiness, inability to coordinate voluntary bodily movements, low blood pressure, coma, and rarely, death. You should have gotten your kitten to a vet immediately. At the very least, you should be calling a veterinary ER RIGHT NOW to see if they can recommend any course of action to save your kitten. There are binding agents and IV fluids that could be administered to bind and flush the drug out of the kitten's system, but I don't know if it's too late now for such measures to help. Again, an immediate call to a veterinary ER should tell you whether or not there is anything to be done to save the kitten.

Laurie

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
This cat should have been RUSHED to the emergency clinic right away. If he is still alive this morning, please get him there NOW.

It is vitally important to have either a clear credit card or a savings account when you have an animal. Things like this DO happen and an animal should never die because the owner cannot afford absolutely urgent medical care. :(

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Please call your local rescue or animal shelter and ask what programs they might have for assistance.

This cat ate poison and you have no idea what damage it's doing to it. You need to figure something out to get him the medical attention he needs and deserves. You took on the responsibility of his care and well being. Borrow or beg the money if need be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cat is still alive and improving some. Sometimes people get pets and life throws some curve balls. I do not have credit cards for a reason. I was recently in a car accident and going through a divorce. Sometimes people don't have the means to beg or borrow money. Im in a tough place right now and all I get is criticism?! Thank you to those who had helpful advice. Its not poison, its medication. Decon is poison, anti freeze is poison. Sometimes vets even give animals anti anxiety meds if they have anxiety. He ate an unfortunate amount.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Many, many poisons are used as medications in very small amounts. Unfortunately, your kitten has been poisoned by a massive overdose of a drug that may still kill him. Everyone here will be very glad to read that your kitten seems to be improving. I, for one, also feel that your kitten should not have to suffer for your life circumstances. Did you call all of the vets in your area and see if you could arrange a payment plan or perhaps even barter for working in the clinic cleaning cages or whatever else may need to be done? That kitten's life depends on your ability to provide necessary care when emergencies arise, like now. If you can't provide that care, call the area vets and humane organizations and see if there is someone to whom you can relinquish him who will be able to provide the care that you are unable to provide. You're in a tough place, and that's certainly unfortunate, but your kitten is in a life-threatening place, and that's your responsibility.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'm very sorry if I sounded harsh. I understand hard times and I went through some pretty bad ones recently. However, I'm much less concerned with your sensitive feelings than your very sick cat.

If you don't feel you can borrow,beg, or work with a vet (have you tried talking to any vets?) then perhaps contact the local no kill shelter and turn him in. At least they can see that he gets the care that he needs.

Oops, yeah. What Laurief said, she beat me to it.

·
Banned
603 Posts
The cat is still alive and improving some. Sometimes people get pets and life throws some curve balls. I do not have credit cards for a reason. I was recently in a car accident and going through a divorce. Sometimes people don't have the means to beg or borrow money. Im in a tough place right now and all I get is criticism?! Thank you to those who had helpful advice. Its not poison, its medication. Decon is poison, anti freeze is poison. Sometimes vets even give animals anti anxiety meds if they have anxiety. He ate an unfortunate amount.
At 2.5 mgs Im supprised he is alive. I know what drug your referring to and its a powerful psychiatric drug used for anxiety. Keep this somewhere in an upper cabinet with a closed door that he can not get to in the future. Cats are VERY curious and will seek to find something they see you getting into reguarly. At least mine do.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am sorry for your situation but your kitties situation takes precedence here. The cat may seem to be doing okay or even "better" but cats are notorious for hiding their pain. By the time you witness it for yourself it sometimes can be too late. Immediate damage could be done to it's liver or kidneys, but with some situations the sooner you take action the better chance your kitty will have. If you wait too long any damage could become irreversible.
If it were me I would contact area shelters and let them know your situation. There are many shelters that have vet care on staff and offer it at a discounted price for this who can't afford it, I believe.
Call area vets let them know, heck, I would drive around from vet to vet with my kitty and say here's what happened; can you help me?
Remember, you are your kitty's only advocate......

·
Banned
198 Posts
I know it is People meds, but to Cats it is Poison!!
If you own a cat, you need to find a way to provide Vet services! Especially emergency services! Would you treat a child this way?

·
Registered
126 Posts
How is he doing?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
There are a wide range of benzodiazepines used in human medicine. Diazepam or valium is a commonly recognised one. Other benzodiazepines include alprazolam, bromazepam, flurazepam, loprazepam, lorazepam, midazolam and temazepam.The most likely use outside of hospital is as anticonvulsants and anxiolytics. They come in a wide range of tablets and syrups. Diazepam also comes as a rectal tube for the acute treatment of seizure episodes.

Signs of intoxication include ataxia (drunkeness), drowsiness, muscle tremors. In some animals there may be a paradoxical hyperactivity, agitation and aggresion. Large overdoses may cause hypothermia and coma. If taken long term it may result in liver failure.

In general benzodiazepines are of low toxicity and most animals show mild signs and recover with supportive veterinary care.

Diseases-St Mary's Veterinary Clinic-Common diseases of cats, dogs and rabbits

Cats metabolize drugs very slowly, by not getting it out of his system quickly it's possible that you may see long term effects. BTW...the responses you received were trying to emphasize to you how important it was to get your cat to a vet. It appears to us that the only thing you have done to help him was to post here and the folks here responded that we can't help, he needs the help of a vet. We don't want to see any kitty sick or dying because the owner plays wait and see in a critical situation. We often have people coming here saying they don't have any money and after we drive home the point that their situation requires vet care, all of a sudden they find a way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts