Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my babies, Lucky and Keira in for a one-year-old check-up, and sure enough Keira is overweight. She's an average sized cat, but she weighs just over 11 lbs! The vet would ideally like to see her lose a pound. Before the vet trip she was getting approx 2 oz canned AM, 1/2 cup dry to split free-fed throughout the day and some days more wet and dry around 6:30 PM, some days just dry.

So my new plan is canned, 2 oz, AM and PM, plus 1/3 cup dry right before I leave. I already feed the girls separately because Lucky is so easily distracted. How does this sound? I don't want to starve them, but the tubby one is getting quite large.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh believe me, I know that the dry food amount needed to be cut. It's going from 1/2 cup per cat down to 1/3 cup for both. I'm just a bit concerned that they both get enough to eat. This morning I fed them each their 2 scoops of wet Wellness and about 15 mins later I put down 1/3 cup dry. Both cats ran straight to the kitchen and ate over half of the dry immediately, and they had both licked their plates clean of the Wellness.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Moby is on a diet too. I am supposed to be feeding him 1.5 cans of wet and 1/2 cup of dry, but had gotten it mixed up and was feeding him 3/4 a cup of dry. A month later and he's GAINED .4 pounds. :(

He looks skinnier though (he's narrower and his fat pouch is hanging lower).

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I definitely agree with Dr. Jean, you can give them more canned food. I restricted the dry food to 1/4 of a cup per day, but really upped the canned food, and they slowly and gradually lost weight. Ginza and Kayla have reached their target of 1 lb loss and now maintain, Mozart's still got a ways to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts