Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new member here with some questions about my kitty. I've got a 13-year-old male cat named Murphy. I went in last week for a problem Murphy was experiencing (he was experiencing pain when jumping, but a few days rest and all is fine again, so no worries there). While the vet was checking him out, he noticed that my cat had some dental issues. I recently brought my cat from the care of my parents in CA since they were leaving the country for an indefinte amount of time. We had Murphy since he was a teeny little kitten. He was about five when I left for college and so they took care of them for the next eight years. They took him for his vaccination every year and he's healthy as the vet can tell. Very happy and lively cat. So anyways, back to last week...the vet, which is the first vet I've seen here in town since I brought him back from CA in 08/03, said he has some teeth problems. Saying that he has some gum missing, gingivitis, and pyorrhea. He told me that he had to perform a teeth extraction or cleaning of some sort (now I could be totally wrong with the teeth extraction and cleaning as I don't remember what exactly he told me needed to be done to Murphy). Now I very well intend to pay whatever I have to to get Murphy better or help prevent pain/sufffering in his life, but he said everything would cost between $200 - $225. And wouldn't the vet in CA that my parents took him to mentioned something like this? I'm not saying I'm cheap or anything, but is $$$ amount right? Should I go to another vet to see? I know that would probably cost me more money to get a second opinion, but I'd like to get some feedback from y'all as I'm out practice with the whole having a pet thing. I'm trying to learn as fast as possible though. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
personally if your other vet he has seen all this time has never mentioned it, id either go back to him see his opinion and/or see another vet and ask for thier opinion. It does seem strange i think, was the vet your parents used good> could it be something he over looked? i would get a second opinion tho, this new vet may just be doing it for the money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't know if the previous vet mentioned anything. They could have but my parents just didn't do anything about it out of cheapness or not understanding what the vet was trying to tell them. They aren't that fluent in English as we're from Taiwan. In anycase, Murphy's previous vet is in CA and I'm not in FL so I'd have to call the vet in CA and ask them, but do they keep records of how their teeth is?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
i would have thought so, the vets i use have a computer data base, each visit they write up any treatments and/or any future recomended treatment.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents. If the vet in CA doesn't mention tooth decay, than you might want to get ANOTHER opinion from a vet where you are living now. You never know if the original vet is right or not! If you get a second opinion, and the vet confirms that Murphy has tooth problems (which is REALLY common in a cat of his age), I recommend getting the cleaning and tooth extractions done. Gingivitis is very painful for a cat, especially when eating. Two of my cats had to get a dental cleaning and tooth removal done, one is about six and the other is only 2 years old. Together this cost me over $1000. But I had to do it because I knew that they were in pain. Now I brush their teeth everyday and perform a wax treatment once a week to prevent build up of bacteria and thus the cost of more cleaning and tooth removal down the road.

My previous vet mentioned that Levi (the 6 year old) had some tooth issues, but never went into detail about the pain it causes and other troubles that can result such as migration of the infection into other tissues. So I didn't take her seriously and this cost me mega$$$$. So this may have been what happened with your parents, because unless the vet tells you about all the problems tooth decay can cause, why would you spend the $, right!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good points "qotn." I in no way want my hesitance to cause Murphy pain and suffering, but at the same time don't want to get ripped off, which I believe are valid points. In anycase, it looks like everything is pointing to Murphy getting his teeth taken care of as a co-worker said that this vet is a good one. And I just got off the phone with Murphy's old vet and they said they don't perform any kind of oral examination unless you request one - and their records don't show that my parents requested one. So off Murphy goes to the vet Wednesday morning :) Hope everything will be ok with my little friend :(

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Everything should be fine with Murphy - my two babies went through it and are no worse for wear. You may want to get a blood test done to see if he can handle the anaestetic at his age. Your vet should know best though.

I felt really bad when I found out what gingivitis can do to a cat, because I'd let Levi live with it for several years. Now that I know how much it can hurt, I feel so guilty. But I guess sometimes you have to learn the hard way. And Cleo had her tooth out within 1 wk of discovering that she had gingivitis. At least I learned!

That's too bad that your old vet didn't do a mandatory oral check - how are we as owners supposed to know the importance of dental care for our cats if our vets don't tell us?!

Hoping the best for Murphy, good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
qotn - thank you so much for the useful info. I know Murphy will thank me for it :wink: His appt. was techincally supposed to be this morning, but he saw the porta-kennel and ran udner the bed...and once he's under there, there's no way to him out until he's ready to get out. So I went to work and he was fine when I got back. So he's got one more day of not knowing what's going on and then off to the vet Wednesday morning. Thank you for the good wishes :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts