Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. My cat Sky has been back and forth to the vet several times now. She has a red "scar" on one of her ears. This only started to happen a month or so after she was fixed. The vet believes that it is an allergy to the food we were feeding her, so he got us to buy their hypo-allergenic food and prescribed pills and cream. This did not fix the situation. With use of the pills and cream, the scar fades but then comes back as soon as it looks like it is gone. We have no idea what is wrong with her.

I'd love to hear what you guys think it is.

edit: For more description of the scar, it starts off as about a nickel sized blood red circle. Looks painful but she doesn't seem bothered by it. It then gets smaller and duller, until it finally gets to smaller than a dime and a light pink colour.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
... ringworm? I always call ringworm on any round reddish things on a cat, especially by the ears. Probably isn't but just throwing it out there.

Maybe you can tell us if it's on the inside or the outside of the ear? I can't see anything in the picture. Also let us know what the vet prescribed (the pills and cream) that makes it fade...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The link for the picture I provided:
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7968/dsc01780s.jpg, it is on the inside

The pill bottle says "20 Prednisone 5mg/Tablet"

The cream says "1 Maxitrol Ointment/3.5g tube"

just realized you said that you cannot see ANYTHING in the picture.. I misread that as you cannot see the picture... so ignore the link. It's the dark spot in the beginning of her ear, almost near the centre

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's eating Friskies wet food, and Whiska's dry food. That's what we have been feeding her ever since we had her. The ear thing only started to happen AFTER she was fixed.

I'd take another picture, but the scar has faded currently.
It looks as if she had some skin pulled off and was bleeding, when it isn't faded.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmmm. I had to switch Pinky to grain free for two reasons, one it is healthier and two she was grooming spots on herself until hair fell off, clear sign of allergies. I'm not sure about your furbaby, but it could be an allergy to grain. What was in the "Hypo-allergenic" stuff. Did it have grain?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmmm. I had to switch Pinky to grain free for two reasons, one it is healthier and two she was grooming spots on herself until hair fell off, clear sign of allergies. I'm not sure about your furbaby, but it could be an allergy to grain. What was in the "Hypo-allergenic" stuff. Did it have grain?
Checking now.

edit: We only have the dry food left, and there are no grain products in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then I'm at a loss trying to prove the vet. ;) As for skin conditions I have no knowledge of them except ringworm. Blegh, I'd never wish that upon anyone.
I know nothing about ringworm, but I assume that the vet would be able to tell if it was one, right?

From your knowledge and my description of the "scar", do you rule out ringworm?

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Oh, now I see it! The problem is it's still hard to get a good look at... it looks black and roundish.

You mention Whiskas dry food and Friskies wet... I looked it up and found a list of its ingredients... its first ingredient is corn! That's a grain. It has all the markings of very low quality food, with its top ingridents being things like by-products (meaning feathers, feet, etc. are in with little meat content), wheat flour (...grain) and with more dangerous preservatives like BHA and BHT. A good quality grain free food will need to be found in a pet store. They are expensive, but many cats must eat them due to allergies since often allergies are due to grains. It could be due to something else, but it's more likely a grain issue. So it really should be switched to a different food if you indeed have a food allergy on your hands. Try feeding wet grain free only or a hypo allergenic food and see if there's any difference.

As far as it being ringworm goes... it could be. I'm not sure from the picture, plus I've never seen ringworm inside the ear of a cat before. I did look up the prednisone and found mention of it online (for people, but I imagine same deal for cats) saying: For inflammatory scalp ringworm: during the first 10-15 days of treatment can be added for symptom relief, but no data have shown an increase in cure rate.

So if it was ringworm, maybe this helped it but didn't cure it - I have no idea though. You can buy something in a drug or grocery store for ringworm - if it is - instead of what the vet prescribes, it'll have the same effect even though it's a "people" version of the cure, it's harmless even if it isn't ringworm, so maybe give it a shot. Also if it is ringworm make sure to continue using the ointment for a week or more after it looks totally gone. You want to kill the fungus fully.

·
Registered
714 Posts
She's eating Friskies wet food, and Whiska's dry food. That's what we have been feeding her ever since we had her. The ear thing only started to happen AFTER she was fixed.

I'd take another picture, but the scar has faded currently.
It looks as if she had some skin pulled off and was bleeding, when it isn't faded.

It could definately be an allergy to grain that could have coincidently developed after she got fixed. Cats are not meant to digest grain and friskies and whiskas are both loaded with it. A grain-free canned diet is the first thing I would try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had her on the vets prescribed food, as mentioned. Both the dry and wet were hypo-allergenic.. we have since taken her off of it because she didnt enjoy it, and it never fixed the ear problem. Will continue with ointment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh no! Poor Sky! I’d have to ask the same thing as MowMow – what is she eating? My boyfriend’s cat used to have issues with his ears and they were red and looked very uncomfortable until we put him on Natural Balance Green Pea & Salmon cat food. It’s a limited ingredient food and it made his ear problems go away, but it took us awhile to find the right food that worked for him. We actually went through a few brands before finding one he liked and that helped him. I hope Sky feels better!

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I would switch her to a grain free canned food with NO dry. Pick an uncommon protein (like venison)and keep her on it for a moth and see if it helps. If it does you can slowly add more protein sources once every 3 weeks or so to see what is bringing out her allergies.

To be honest though, just getting her off the junk food and feeding her no grains might help given some real time to work on her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We looked EVERYWHERE for Natural Balance. When we were going to try "Taste of the Wild" my parents finally found NB! Out of the 6 places we tried, my parents finally found it at a NEW pet store that opened not too long ago. They just purchased the Green Pea and Salmon flavour. Waiting anxiously for them to bring it home so I can see if Sky (and her sister Midnight) approve.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.