Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking a lot of my education.. I've always wanted to be a vet since I got my first kitty when I was really tinie-tiny. I took a year in college for computers - i found it really interesting and easy for me, but not really what I want to do with my life...

I've tried searching for information on how to get started, but I have no idea if I need to take another degree to start the vet degree like some other majors.. And I was wondering if any of you have any experience in the going to vet school to help get me started?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi
I'm going into my 3rd year in vet school at Tufts. YOu don't need to have a biology or animal science degree to go to vet school. Most schools have prerequisite classes that you need to take prior to admission. I would take alook at what class requirements are needed at the schools that you're interested in and make sure that you are covered. Also if you really are serious about applying, look at the applications very soon. Most of them are due in early fall.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me :)

Deirdre

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on taking this year to get the classes and things done with, and ACT or SAT(required by unis) to prepare myself :) And possibly finish my computer degree so I could get a decent job to afford it lol

I moved away from my old college last year, and want to transfer to a community college here to hopefully finish it this year. If not, I'm just going to do all prep classes

Plus it's a year to get Fiance used to the idea to move 2 hours away ;)

Tufts? Just to note, im in ohio, USA, where r u?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OSU<-- here is the college I was thinking about applying at. Ohio State University. It's in the top 10 vet schools AND it's close ;)

It wants me to take an MCAT test, have you taken it? I need to take an algebra math courses this year, I didn't take them in highschool :( The downside in homeschool, you don't HAVE to take it!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I took the MCAT even though it isn't necessary for the vet college at the University of Saskatchewan. It was a difficult exam but I strongly recommend taking one of the MCAT prep courses! Although the course itself was stupid, the material used for the course was a godsend.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Each vet school has different requirements; call OSU and get their catalog, or you can probably just go online and find out what they require.

At Colorado State, they required some courses that might not be available at a community college, although they have since reduced the requirements to allow the prerequisites to get done in 2 years. I did have to take some sort of graduate-level entry exam, GRE I think. The MCAT is for medical school; I'm surprised they would require it for vet students!

No doubt they have counselors for vet school admissions; make an appointment soon and get all your questions answered! The deadline for CSU applications was November 1.

I graduated vet school when I was 40; it's never too late! Go for it! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts