Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He told me because feeding a raw diet puts my animals health and safety at risk he wouldnt be able to neuter him in case something went wrong caused by his diet while under being neutered. He told me to feed kibble, then come back. I got so upset I refused to pay for the exam fee. I came in for a set of boosters and a deworm. The exam was included with the booster shot and he wouldnt give that for the same reason as to why he wouldnt neuter. He gave him the dewormer tho because he told me it would ward off any parasites the raw has caused.

Think I should lie and say I feed kibble or just go to another vet? This is the cheapest vet for a neuter in my area.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That's bizarre. I've never heard of a vet refusing to neuter or vaccinate due to diet...in fact the only time my vet has even asked me what I feed my cat was when she was having stomach problems.

I'd try to find a better vet if I were you. This doesn't sound like the most fantastic vet. In my experience, it's generally worth paying a little more to get quality service. Unfortunately that saying "You get what you pay for" is often true.

The way I found my vet was by checking reviews of local practices. I just went with the one that had the most positive reviews about the employees being helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Think I should lie and say I feed kibble or just go to another vet? This is the cheapest vet for a neuter in my area.
I would look for a different vet. I did this when one vet told me that feeding my cats a 100% dry diet is best for them and he recommended Meow mix of all things. He also said that the grain free foods were bad for cats because they need the grains. *snort*

If you really can't afford any other vet in the area, I would lie and say you fed kibble. His concerns are just plain wrong. If anything, putting Riot on kibble could deteriorate his health.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sounds like a Vet who really hates raw feeding, but his personal feelings should not matter...very unprofessional to turn away an animal because of that. I would definitely search elsewhere for a Vet, perhaps contact the Canadian Humane Society for a good referral. I know the Humane Society here does the operations themselves, but if they don't do it, then at the very least they can at least tell you a good place to go to.

For future reference, I would keep the raw feeding thing under wraps unless you know it's someone who supports it or if there is an issue with the animal's digestive tract. I am lucky that my current Vet practice has no problem with it, but I have encountered some Vets that have looked as if they were going to implode on the spot when they heard me say 'raw'.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Wow... that's absolutely ridiculous!
How do you think feral cats get fixed? That's all they eat, is raw stuff (birds and rodents)!
And I agree that Meow Mix is not a good food to feed. I won't even buy it if I have coupons. For one thing it's low quality, and it has that red food coloring which is bad for some humans - and I know that some cats can get diarrhea from it. (whether it's the food coloring, or just over-all quality (or lack of) the food, I dunno).

Definitely seek another vet. I've been to 3 in the last year, because they kept suggesting things that I felt were unreasonable. This vet now not only takes care of my ferals (last two wouldn't because of liability issues - which I can understand), but understands that I'm poor and tries to give me discounts whenever possible.

(I guess I should change "poor" to "low income" to be politically correct?)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, you know, human Drs have been known to refuse treatment for people who they consider to have lifestyle risks. Your vet obviously considers raw feeding to be a lifestyle riskfor cats, and there is a risk of parasites etc. in raw food. Few meat products are now served raw to humans because of risk. At one time Steak Tartare , raw lean ground beef beaten with creme was very popular at some of the higher class restaurants. I don't think it's still served because of the risks. Governments fight to restrict raw milk because of the health problems.

Now your vet is a business person, but here he is turning down business. That doesn't sound smart to me unless he has firm convictions over the possible dangers of raw feeding. Earlier this year I seem to remember seeing that a recall had been issued for one brand of frozen raw food for pets because of contamination.

I would see your vet as a person very concerned person over the health of the animals he treats. This doesn't mean that raw feeding is necessarily bad,just that there are dangers involved.

The argument that raw is the way feral and stray outside cats eat, doesn't mean it's good for them. I've seen posts on this forum mention how much shorter the lives of cats are when they live wild.

Before humans discovered fire and the advantages of cooked food, we ate raw. Ever give a thought as to why cooked food caught on?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had a similiar experience with one of my cats who is raw fed. Mikey was limping and his paw was swollen and the vet said the reason he was hurt was because he was fed a raw diet. Umm, yeah. Unless he was chasing down a gazelle in the backyard highly doubt it was caused by his food:p They reason I told the vet what Mikey ate was because they had commented on how great he looked.

When Morey had pneumonia I just lied about what the fact that he was raw fed. I said he ate all wet food, to which the said I had to feed Science Diet dry or he could die:?. They ended up doing an x-ray though on his lungs and they saw the bone in his digestive tract (looked like small pebbles) and I just let them assume it was cat litter.

Try find another vet - maybe there is still another that is close to the same price? Or see if you can get him fixed through an animal shelter - they tend to cost less.

I'm so lucky where I live. A shelter not far from here will fix any pet cat for $10 (and feral/free roaming cats for free).

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
That's just bizarre, however, one of the many joys of being a pet owner is being prepared to handle any wrenches thrown your way when it comes to circumstances such as this...getting something done that needs to be done. Hopefully you can find a new vet who will neuter even though this one was the cheapest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your vet is full of it. Go find another vet who will neuter. If your vet cannot accept that you feed your pet raw, totally switch or let them know that it will not be open for discussion.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wild/feral cats dont live long because of the fact they eat raw. Its the fact that they eat garbage (could have poisins, toxins in it), and the fact they live outside and are exposed to the elements such as coyotes, cold, rain, wind, cars etc. A domestic indoor cat is not exposed to that.

I cant stand when people blame the ferals early death on raw food.

I will find another vet, I just thought it was odd he refused service. My vet never refused service on my raw fed dog, and he knows I feed raw.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well, you know, human Drs have been known to refuse treatment for people who they consider to have lifestyle risks. Your vet obviously considers raw feeding to be a lifestyle riskfor cats, and there is a risk of parasites etc. in raw food.
I would see your vet as a person very concerned person over the health of the animals he treats. This doesn't mean that raw feeding is necessarily bad,just that there are dangers involved.
On the contrary, a vet who is very concerned about the well-being of the animals he treats wouldn't refuse to perform an important (and typically very safe) procedure without some evidence that there's some good reason not to. A good vet would warn about potential risks, or offer to perform tests to check for risk factors. This vet honestly just sounds ignorant or condescending.

Too often people in the medical profession are regarded with a sort of intellectual immunity by some (or by themselves) in that it's assumed because they are Doctors they can't possibly ever be wrong. But they're human like the rest of us, they have personal biases like the rest of us, and some will be better at their jobs than others. My own experiences with human doctors have definitely shown me how not all doctors are created equal. I've had doctors tell me a chronic severe pain was all in my head, only to have another doctor find an actual serious injury that could be treated when I sought a second opinion. There are some that are excellent and helpful and knowledgeable, and there are some that are arrogant, dismissive, condescending, and really not as qualified as they claim to be. You just have to weed through the bad ones and find the good ones.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Squeekers, that vet is clearly uninformed and unwilling to become informed; raw feeding cats (as you're well aware) is the healthiest way to feed cats! The only dangers involved are a lack of education on behalf of the cat owners doing the feeding - and almost by definition, raw feeders are the type to do the necessary research. *sheez*

Good on you for looking for another vet! This time, however, don't mention what you feed unless you absolutely have to. :wink

<<<Hugs>>> for having to deal with such an ignorant, obnoxious individual.

AC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Find another vet. I know cost is a factor, but any money paid to an ignorant, stubborn vet like that is wasted money, IMO. Might as well spend a little more on a vet who is less of an arse.

Just out of curiosity, what lifestyle risks do human doctors refuse treatment for? I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am feeling guilty about leaving and not paying. I went in for a deworm and vaccines. The exam fee was included in the vaccines. He refused to vaccinate, this was after he listened to his heart and took his temp. He refused to tell me if anything was wrong based on what he did so I threw the $10 for the deworm and left. I was going to use debit but they put in the amount for everything which was $103 so I couldnt put my own amount in.

But now I feel guilty and am wondering if I should go back and pay..or just use that money for a better vet?

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Hmmm...the vet could pursue you for services rendered. I'd go back and pay for the work he did and then go to a different vet for the neuter.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Does raw mean actually raw, as in not cooked? I always thought it meant not processed in any way...

still weird for a reason to deny that though... at least hes eating!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts