Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My cat doesnt go outside as it terrifies her, the patio door can be wide open, and she wont go out, but when there's a noise, such as a car nearby, she'll jump backwards and be really scared. I've carried her outside in the past, and as I've held her the same has happened. When she sees another cat in the garden, sometimes even a bird, if me or any of my family are near her at the time, she'll jump up and rip one of us apart. We can be in any part of the house, and she'll do the same. :( What can we do, when shes terrified about going outside, but she goes mad when she sees something from inside? :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well I am against outside cats. I've had to much pain caused because of the cat going 'outdoors'. So if she doesn't like it, DO NOT push it. How would you like to be made eating some yucky spinach :shock:

If she doesn't like other animals, I can only suggest you keep your blinds down, or curtains closed so she doesn't see the things that upsets her so much.

You 'could' get those nail cover things to help the scratches, or clip her nails. Do NOT declaw... I think that is cruel (my personal opinion)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yup! No need for this cat to go outside, specially since she is scared of it, she will be much safer.

Don't allow her to see out of windows, keep her happy and calm indoors as much as you can, and if you hold her, hold her during a time when you know it will be nice and quiet.

Defeintly trim her claws as well, it will be a big help!

I've had a lot of foster cats who do just what yours does, never pick her up when you know something around you guys might scare her, that's just asking for it.

How long have you had this cat just out of curiousity?

·
Banned
410 Posts
It is not good to force a cat to be held when they are in a situation that scares them. They want to feel like they are in control and that they can protect themselves or run and hide if need be. When I brought Kitty into the house with Yoda, he didn't want anyone holding him or even near him because he wanted to be able to fight or run. If I was holding him and Yoda came into the room--he would try to chew my arm off so he could get down. Also, my cats are terrified of the outside--and I am happy with that. I want them safe and with me. Yoda went through the trying to escape stage and it was horrible. I would much rather have a cat that is happy being inside. :D

Yoda goes crazy when she sees another animal outside--especially a cat. She will run from one window to the next so she can get a look at the "invader"--of course she likes to hiss and stuff, too. I would hate for her to be outside with that other animal--I don't want my baby to get into a fight and possibly get hurt.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
If she hasn't got used to noises and things she sees through the window by now, I don't think she's going to change. Unless you see a behaviorist, the only thing I can think of is to close the drapes when you're all in the same room. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hmm, I just had a spinach omelet for breakfast.

Anyway, Mitzi doesn't like to be held when she's scared either. Or, should I say, you shouldn't hold Mitzi when she is scared because SHE WILL PEE ALL OVER YOU! She doesn't scratch ya up, just pees her brains out hehehe. She did it to my mom a little while ago. My brother was coming over with his dog but my mom didn't get Mitzi upstairs in her room in time...so Mitzi saw the dog and peed all over my mom hahahaha. She also did it to my brother in the car when we were kids. We thought it'd make her feel safer if we held her but nope heh.

Woops, time for class. Have a good day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Spartanchief117, net curtains might be helpful, you never know your kitty might grow out of this fear. It's not a bad thing having a cat inside.
Best of luck.

Tanyuh, bless your kitty, bless your Mum too :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree about not letting her go outside. My prior work as a vet tech as given my the opportunity to see many cats get FeLV or FIV from going outdoors. It's sad to see.
Closing the drapes may seem like a quick fix, but to be realistic you should look into desensitization and counter counditioning training. I'm sure you don't want to live in the dark with drapes closed. You probably wont be able to find a behaviorist (which must be a licensed veterinarian or board certified by another council), but you may be able to find a behavior consultant in your area that can help you with this task. A cat, as with all other mammals, will learn there entire life. So, don't think she is set in her ways.
Gook Luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you get her as a kitten, or was she adopted? Maybe (if she was adopted) her experiences before have made her afraid of situations outside. My cat would never go outside if I left the door open, but she always loved (well, loves, she is still with us) to look out the window. So I would carry her outside. At first she kinda freaked, but then learned to love it. So much that I created a bad situation... When I would open the door to leave, she would try and get out. So I stopped taking her outside. She is an indoor cat, and instead built her a comfy bed next to the window. Word of caution: If you ever do take your cat outside, just be careful... I was at my mom's house with her and I was carrying her in the backyard and made the mistake of walking past the inground pool. She took one look at that huge bathtub and really layed her claws into me. It was funny but painful. LOL. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts