Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sinatra is absolutely ridiculous. We have gone through two Da Bird refills in the last week. This includes downtime for ordering refills online and getting two day shipping. It is his favorite toy but I can't afford to play it with him every day if he is going to be this brutal about it. Nutmeg loves to catch it but then lets go as soon as she gets it, we have to wrestle Da Bird out of Sinatra's vice jaw grip everytime he gets it until he ruins it.

Does anyone else have a vicious warrior in their home?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What a coincidence. I am watching this very second as Prince pulverizes a bird toy I bought him today. And I was just wondering how others deal with this, as you can't buy a new toy twice a day!

The vet was amazed at Prince's strength when she came and he had just broken the glass window to get out of the bathroom, where he was put for a few minutes with lots of his fav treat to wait for the vet as per her instructions.

I don't think cat toys are suitable for Prince (same as a cat bed isn't suitable) due to his size and strength. I may have to build his toys myself. Feathers? They last on a toy bird a total of 2 minutes. I wonder if other cats keep the feathers on the toys?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I can't even buy Da Bird lately because Nito destroys it within minutes. "Vice jaw grip" is a really good way of putting it. Nito adds in ferocious growls.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Oh, poor you! My girls are really gentle with Da Bird. Abby catches it, but immediately lets it go so I can fly it again. When Muffs catches it, she walks away stick and all...and then she settles down somewhere to groom the feather! She thinks it's her baby. I just bought several new ones yesterday...not because the feather parts were ruined (the feathers were in mint condition), but because we've played with the old Da Birds so often that the string parts were totally twisted and the birds didn't fly properly anymore. I had two and I've had them both for well over a year now.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've lost track of how many I've gone through with Nito. Nowadays, I just buy big feathers at the craft store and tie them in little bunches with hemp. The flight pattern isn't as impressive, but Nito can take out his rage on them and I don't have to spend all that money! :lol:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Oh yeah. Samantha loves Da Bird...she also loves to chew it until it dies. She holds on really tight to the feathers with her front paws and chews on the end that holds them all together (that plastic piece), and it falls apart. She usually runs off with a feather or two then, and she races around me until I run after her. She's a nut. XD

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Lily gets possisive. Sometimes she gets a good hold on it and starts growling, then wants to run off with it...with me running along like on a leash.

Harli doesn't run and grab at it probably because Lily is going nuts and Harli doesn't want to get in her way. Harli only grabs at it if I dangle it near her scratching post.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had not heard of da bird until I started visiting here. After all the reviews, I had to get one. Oh my! The kids love it. I already bought a spare "bird" and hid it away.
Caspian likes it so much I had to hide it in the pantry. Now he keeps trying to open the pantry door to get at it!
GREAT toy.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I totally sympathize; Egypt destroys all her toys right away. And yes, it DOES get expensive :) . Luckily, my cats favorite pastime is to beat each other up so it saves me some cash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jasio is a pro "Da Bird" killer.

Like others, in between refills I will make my own birds with craft store feathers and a some fish tank sealant as glue (non-toxic). He will rip the feathers right out the plastic cap, the other two are usually willing to give it up after a couple of bites. They all get frustrated when it gets put away and scrabble at the closet door for a bit, no matter how tired they are.

This is the extra special toy they don't get every day. We do a lot hunting games with food for entertainment purposes, kill the kibble, easter egg hunt, puzzle boxes. I like them because they exercise the kitties and give them real rewards that don't get taken away.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Has anyone tried the fur attachment? I'm thinking if that holds together better maybe we will try that...
I've tried that one before. As I recall it held together decently and Magneto LOVED it. But it, like all the others, was destroyed in time.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
When Muffs catches it, she walks away stick and all...and then she settles down somewhere to groom the feather!
That's so funny, that's exactly what Murphy does. After chasing it for a while, he finally walks off with the feathers in his mouth, stick dragging behind, off to another room where he can enjoy the spoils of his labor. :) Seeing him walking with that stick dragging behind makes me laugh every time.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
hot glue work great for installing the feathers in the cap, bind them together with some thread, have a heavy string loop in the center(for clipping the swivel to) coat with hot glue and push the cap over, I have to make these for my outdoor cat smokey(his instinct is to rip all the feathers out to get to the meat, this isn't all play for him, just keeping the old skills sharp) if you add some fluffy feathers around the flite feathers it last a little longer..

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I bought one of those birds on an elastic string that hang from the door frame yesterday. Prince absolutely loves it! And the wonderful thing is you don't need to dangle it for them because their own play makes the bird keep in constant movement. It costs next to nothing, and it's just great!

Da Bird is only imported from the US by one highly exclusive store here, and it costs $12 (replacement feathers cost $6 a pack) so that'll have to wait. Though I'm sure Prince would go nuts for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts