Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this man?
I've been watching him on PBS and have just checked out Amazon.com, but I don't know which I should purchase that would encompass his best/funniest works. Husband loves him and grew up watching him. I'd like to get 1-2 of his DVDs for Hubby for xmas.

Tonight I've seen him reading, numbers/math, a duet with another man at the piano where they were playing around each other, another piano piece where a man had to keep up with him and turn the pages for him and I've seen numerous other examples of his performances displaying his magical touch on the piano and/or conducting with injections of his excellently timed humor.

Any recommendations for DVDs to purchase?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I remember Vicotr Borge from when I was a kid. He was great = he had such a unique brand of humour :lol:
But I'm not that familiar with his stuff - maybe I should get a DVD too.

seashell

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've seen that clip where he duets in Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 loads of times on YouTube, it is very funny. I recall he was wearing a pair of ludicrous tartan (plaid) trousers.

I recall one of his lines was, 'I'd like to thank my parents for making my career possible - and my children for making it necessary...'

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
This thread has gotten me thinking about Victor Borge a lot. I looked up some of his work on YouTube. This one is hilarious and had me laughing out loud so hard that I had tears in my eyes.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/750848/victor_borge/

I've been searching for a clip of him doing his famous bit with the William Tell Overture (Long Ranger theme), playing the sheet music upside down but, darnit, I can't find it.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
I agree with the others. I don't own any myself, but I've seen in on TV several times, and frankly, whatever you buy will be the "best of" because they're all the best. ;-)

I gotta go watch that youtube clip now....... :)

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
I don't know why but it was the threes the tickled my funnybone the most. I wonder how that goes over in the dubbed language?

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I think I understand that anything of Victor Borge's that I buy will be two-nderful? :D
...I liked the part of the skit where he talked about the woman's 'assi-tenned' husband. :lol:

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
coaster said:
I wonder how that goes over in the dubbed language?
I was wondering the same thing. They were laughing so I gotta think that they understood.
The audience was an English-speaking audience. The video and audio are out of sync, but Borge is speaking English. ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Well, yeah, I know but they had the dubbed language on the screen for Danish television, I assume, since he's from Denmark. That's what I thought you meant by the translation question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts