Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Dawn, for something like that, it's really worth paying through the nose for Norton Anti-virus or something like that because you know the updates have the latest anti-virus signatures, and they're at the forefront of researching and discovering new viruses. One virus that your free software misses will have you wishing you had bought 100 copies of first-class anti-virus protection.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
I have Spy Sweeper. It does not protect against viruses. It protects against spyware.

you have to have protection for different kinds of threats to your computer security.

viruses & worms ------------- antivirus software
spyware, adware ------------ spyware detection
hijackers --------------------- hijack prevention
spam filters ------------------ email spam

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lori....I also use Avast.
I just dont know much about if it is great or not.

Edit to add....crazy how I dont mind spending around $400
at the vets office.....but I am too cheap to purchase a virus program.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Yeah, I really don't know if it is good or not either. It did catch a virus coming into my email box, but also caught something that didn't end up being a virus.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has caught Virus's for me a few times.
I like that it updates the virus definitions automatically.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I log on to my computer at work via a VPN so they supply us with FREE virus software so we don't give their computers a virus
We have Norton - but it wouldn't be free for you - so I suppose I am not helping much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We use Antivir.... just do a search for it if you wanna know more.

I absoutly refuse to use Norton's , I updated my definations EVERY DAY, and norton's let a virus slip thru that crashed my harddrive, and I lost EVERYTHING.

AVG is also a good one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One vote for Trend Micro Internet Security anti-virus, spyware, firewall, software package. I works great and doesn't take over like Norton or McAfee.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Norton anti virus sucks - it doesn't catch anything and when I had it I had to re-format my computer - it had 30+ viruses on it. Norton didn't detect 1 !!!! 8O

I now have free AVG 6.0 and it works a treat along with a network firewall and Adaware (also free) :D

Lorna

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I used to use AVG at it was good, but I heard that they are going to stop their free version sooon.

I have to use Norton otherwise I can't hok up to my work computer... but it has caught viruses on mine

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
icklemiss21 said:
I used to use AVG at it was good, but I heard that they are going to stop their free version sooon.
that's the problem with free software. It stops being supported, or stops being free, usually just when you need it most.

You guys that had the problems with Norton.....you sure that was Norton Anti-Virus? There's also Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works. Norton Antivirus works well for me, I've been using it since MS-DOS days. It's only $30 after the usual rebate. Norton SystemWorks I tried once and it totally screwed up my computer. Had to reformat and reinstall everything. But that was version 1.0, maybe it's been improved by now. Norton Internet Security also has a virus scanner, but it's not as comprehensive as NAV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts