Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh, my 9 month streak of good health has come to an end!

i started feeling ill yesterday. i couldn't breathe very well and was coughing. i have asthma and thought that was it, but the puffers aren't helping much. think i'm coming down with some sort of respiratory infection. i felt tired around 2 pm and went to bed for a nap. its almost 4 am now, and i just woke up! so something is definitely wrong!

i'm wondering...what kind of vitamins do you take for this sort of thing? i'm not full-blown ill yet, so i'm hoping to nip it in the bud with some vitamins. i don't have health insurance, so i can't really go to the doctor. antibiotics make my stomach sick anyhow. i'm going to run to the store later and pick up some OJ and some cough drops, but i'm not sure what vitamins i need. any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
917 Posts
you can try some echinacea. you're supposed to take it before you get sick, and only for two weeks at a time, but give it a shot. it boosts the immune system.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
marijun, if you get short of breath, please see the doctor. Asthma with an upper respiratory infection is an awful combination. And if you get bronchial asthma you might not be able to work for weeks. I've gone through that situation so many times! :( Let us know how you are doing, please.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm feeling a little bit better after many halls cough drops and some robitussin. at least it doesn't feel like someone's pushing on my chest anymore! its a bizarre feeling though, i don't think its a respiratory infection. very dry cough, no congestion, no sniffles. perhaps the dryness of my apartment caught up with me. my throat is really tickly, argh!

think i'll be playing hearts and pool at yahoo all day hehe :D

i've heard good things about echinacea, but have yet to try it. i have an uberherbalist friend, so maybe she can help me out. thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ooh while i'm thinking of it...

does anyone else's cats have a deep obsessive facination with menthol? lint would hork my cough drops right out of my mouth if i let him. when i'm taking one, he sits in my lap, gets up in my face and smells my breath and tries to lick my lips. i have to hide them when i go to bed. he used to try to eat my mom's menthol cigarettes too :shock:

what's up with that?

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I don't know, but I know that if I have had my hands in Clorox water, and they still have that odor (it just won't wash away!) the cats want to wash my hands over and over. I know there's no Clorox left, but if the odor is there, they'll do it every time! Yuck.

Drink hot tea with lemon, take a vitamin C supplement, take it easy, and get well! You might want to simmer a big pot of water to get some humidity in the house. Heated homes have less humidity than the Sahara desert, according to what I've read!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Vitamin C is really good for when you aren't feeling good. My old roommate used to take it (and only it) anytime she got a cold or a "bug". I take it on a regular basis, but it really does help when you are sick.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
short of breath

Marijun, I don't want to scare you, but Jeanie is right. I had very similar symptoms in October. I have asthma and thought it was just a bad attack, but inhalers didn't really help. I had a dry cough that was worse when I was laying down, and I was very tired. I finally got so short of breath that it scared me, and I went to the ER (not my first choice, since I don't have insurance either!). Ended up hospitalized with heart failure. So, if it gets worse (or doesn't improve significantly) you may need to bite the bullet and see a doctor.

Take care of yourself, and please let us know how you're doing!

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow! asthma really is a dangerous illness, i'm glad i've never had any serious complications before! mine is getting better as i grow older, but its far from gone.

i think what i've got is now just a cold. i'm not coughing as much, and the coughs i do have aren't as dry. i was really worried the first day, i've never had such a dry cough before! the annoyance has now moved to my head...got a headache and my nose will NOT stop running! i've nearly gone through an entire roll of toilet paper just blowing my nose today, and i'm pretty sure my nose is just going to fall off any time now :lol:

drjean, what caused the heart failure? suffocation? just curious. that must have been terrifying!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
suffocation!

Well, it did *feel* like suffocation. Turns out my heart was enlarged due to mitral valve regurgitation (the valve isn't closing all the way so allowed blood to flow backwards at each beat). A big floppy heart doesn't pump much blood so fluid backed up into my lungs. I was pretty appalled when I saw the x-rays. UG-LY!

I guess it could have been scary, but I was so blown away I never had time to be afraid. Plus, as a vet, I know that dogs can live for many years, perfectly controlled on meds. If dogs can do it, so can I! :)

They don't know what the initial cause was; the doc said I have virtually no risk factors for heart disease--I've always had low blood pressure, low cholesterol, and low triglycerides. I did have open heart surgery as a kid for a birth defect, but that would have affected the right side, not the left, and it was the left that failed. 2 weeks before my 50th birthday, too! I have to say that any emotional junk I may have had about turning 50 went right out the window--I was just glad to get there!!

The doc did say I could stay on the Atkins diet! :)

It did slow me down for a while but I feel pretty good now...it's a case of better living through chemistry, that's for sure!

You probably have that crud that has been moving in from the West Coast...starts with a cough, then sinus, comes back 2 or 3 times. Really take care of yourself the first go-round so you can kick it but good!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts