Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love all the different noises my cat makes.
My first cat that I got when I was 5 years old was a pretty large cat and he had this very loud yowl. If he was at the door wanting to go outside, he'd sit there yowling really loudly until we got tired of listening to him and let him out (we tried to keep him inside as much as possible, but he wanted to go outside so bad). He also used to make that little trill sound when he was happy. After he died at age 16, we got two kittens- Callie and Puffy.
Puffy didn't meow much, but she made that lower-pitched trill sound a lot while she was playing. She liked chasing balls and my hair elastics around the house, and we'd hear "brrrrr-brrr-brrrrr" while she was playing. It was so cute. She got sick last year and we had to have her put to sleep this past June because they found a very large tumor on her liver. she was only 7. :(
Her sister, Callie, started getting so much more vocal after Puffy died. It's so interesting. She did used to meow a lot- she has this super high-pitched voice and sometimes she tries to meow but nothing comes out. lol. But she mostly used to just meow, and make that little trill sound when she was happy about something. Now she has this huge library of sounds. Her meow is really high-pitched, like I said, but it's never really a "meow". Sometimes it sounds like a little bark, or sometimes she sits there and lets out a little, "aah." And then sometimes she gets really excited and she wants one of us to pet her so she starts going, "waaaaa!! meeeh! ee-eee!" and then as soon as we touch her she makes this really cute trilling sound. She has two different trilling sounds.
Sometimes it's really funny because she'll want me to pet her, so she follows me, and then I lean down to pet her, and as I'm reaching toward her, she lets out this excited, really long meow like, "maaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaa-aaaaah!" Her voice cuts out a lot because it's so high-pitched. It's so overdramatic when she does that. haha. Then she does this other meow that I haven't figured out the reason for yet. I'll hear her in another room just going, "mooww? mooww?" for seemingly no reason. It sounds like she wants something, but I'll go to her and she's just sitting there. She does it a lot in the kitchen so I usually think it's because she wants food, but when I go out, there's still food in her dish. So I don't know.
And then she recently started with this other meow that starts on one note, and then ends on a lower note. It sounds like, "wee-oo." She does that only at night when she walks into the living room and we're all home- like she's announcing her presence.
I love when she also comes into the room, sits in the back of the room for a while and then just goes, "meh." This little high-pitched meow like she's saying hi to everyone. Then of course we all turn around and say "Hi Callie!" and then she jumps up on my dad and snuggles (he's her favorite. She won't snuggle with the rest of us).
Anyway, I'd like to hear how other peoples' cats vocalize. Does anyone else's cats have as many different sounds as mine does?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'll hear her in another room just going, "mooww? mooww?" for seemingly no reason. It sounds like she wants something, but I'll go to her and she's just sitting there
I've read and also observed it in my yard cats that this is an instinctual call cats make to let the rest know where they are when they're not with the others.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
MowMow is a chirper and a triller. He's always chattering at me. He talks when he jumps UP on stuff and DOWN from stuff and when he wants attention. If I make eye contact and speak to him he trills and chirps at me. If I ask him questions he talks back.

SHepherd Book has just started to trill. He does it when he joins me when I'm relaxing and wants to lay with me. THey both do it if they are sleeping and I touch them.

The only other time MowMOw talks is when he wants to play. He stands where he wants to play and yowls until either Book or I join him and entertain him. THe only other time SHepherd Book talks is when I'm feeding them. He SCREAMS at me at the top of his lungs until I put his food down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read and also observed it in my yard cats that this is an instinctual call cats make to let the rest know where they are when they're not with the others.
Oh, that's really interesting. Thanks.
I'm surprised she didn't do that when Puffy was alive... but she actually didn't seem to like Puffy all that much so maybe she didn't want Puffy to know where she was. lol. And now she thinks of us as other cats, so she wants us to know where she is.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
MowMow is a chirper and a triller. He's always chattering at me. He talks when he jumps UP on stuff and DOWN from stuff and when he wants attention. If I make eye contact and speak to him he trills and chirps at me. If I ask him questions he talks back.

SHepherd Book has just started to trill. He does it when he joins me when I'm relaxing and wants to lay with me. THey both do it if they are sleeping and I touch them.

The only other time MowMOw talks is when he wants to play. He stands where he wants to play and yowls until either Book or I join him and entertain him. THe only other time SHepherd Book talks is when I'm feeding them. He SCREAMS at me at the top of his lungs until I put his food down.

Starving Kitten screams.
Samantha used to to the Lassie Timmy's in the well routine, she meow at me with a sense of urgency the run to her bowl as if to show me "lowly human, empty food dish and hungry kitty"
If that didn't work she give me the sad face look which would melt my heart every time.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
If that didn't work she give me the sad face look which would melt my heart every time.
MowMow does this when I'm eating something he wants to taste. He lays near me and smacks his lips and his head tilts back and forth like the RCA dog. If I make eye contact he flops over on his side.

I swear it's like he's saying "I'm starving! Ima pass out...then you'll be sorry!!"

Shepherd Book hunches as close as I'll allow him and STARES at the plate like he can will the food to float into his mouth.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Princess was born feral and she had never used sounds to communicate anything except threat, so she's slowly learning from Prince how to communicate requests vocally. The only sound she makes is like a soft screech (still from the threatening family of sounds), when she doesn't want me to get up from her side or she wants me to stop scratching Prince's chin and scratch hers.

One of my strays, who sits on my lap for hours, will hiss at me when I tell her I have to get up from the bench. She knows that when something displeases you, you're supposed to hiss. LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of my strays, who sits on my lap for hours, will hiss at me when I tell her I have to get up from the bench. She knows that when something displeases you, you're supposed to hiss. LOL
Hehe Callie hisses a lot, too. She hisses at my brother for no reason. She used to hiss at Puffy all the time if Puffy just walked into the room. She hissed at me once for picking her up and taking her out of my bedroom because she was getting into all kinds of stuff. This year she was sitting behind the fake Christmas tree right after we put it up and chewing on it. So I was trying to get her to stop, and I was lying down on the floor trying to push her away from the tree, and then she came running at my face hissing. That scared me a bit. lol.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It's a bit scary indeed! Like a behaviorist told us at a seminar, don't forget they're little kids but also little tigers. LOL Hissing only means "don't bother me, leave me alone", though.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
All of my cats have unique voices, and different types of meows for different purposes.

Chica is the cutest. She only has one or two meows and they are both very dainty.
"merp!" she will reply when she say her name. She also has a quieter "meh" sound that she mays.

Winry is the trill master. She is quite talkative and all her meows are fancy, laced with trills. "Ppprrrreow! Rrrrrrrrroww! Meerrrrrrew"

Cindy-Lou is quiet most of the time but will still meow if the feeling strikes her right. Her meow is also very quiet and dainty. "Meh, meh"

Now Magneto, he is the talker. With a wide arsenal of meows, he runs my life each and every day...

"Reaaaar! Reaaar!" - FEED ME
"Rrrrrrrow!" - Let's play!
"Reh-eheheheheh" cackle sound he makes when being scolded
"Prrrew" - Move over I'm gonna lay on your pillow
"ROW?! ROW?!" - Yowling for his mom

There are many more. LOL

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Princess was born feral and she had never used sounds to communicate anything except threat, so she's slowly learning from Prince how to communicate requests vocally. The only sound she makes is like a soft screech (still from the threatening family of sounds), when she doesn't want me to get up from her side or she wants me to stop scratching Prince's chin and scratch hers.

My Meme was a hisser, she'd hiss one second then be purring the next.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Which reminds me how funny they sound when they try to eat something very good and growl at another cat at the same time. It comes out as grooowmmmmooow. When they try to growl at another cat but are enjoying being petted it starts like a growl and ends in a delighted purr. LOL. Princess does this to Prince a lot - she'll try once and again to growl at him while I pet her, and is dismayed to hear her growls come out more like soft purrs of content, more and more so, and then she just gives up the growling as a lost cause and focuses on the happy feelings. It makes me roar with laughter.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Shepherd Book hunches as close as I'll allow him and STARES at the plate like he can will the food to float into his mouth.
Must be nice....Yoshi just lunges at the food. The other day he grabbed a chip out of my boyfriend's hand. He had to lightly smack the back of his head to get him to release the chip.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Must be nice....Yoshi just lunges at the food. The other day he grabbed a chip out of my boyfriend's hand. He had to lightly smack the back of his head to get him to release the chip.
He used to do this but my reflexes (at that time) were faster than his. The few times he lunged he got scruffed, hissed at and dropped onto the ground.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
When Fay does this I call it the Lonley Girl Meow. If Mia hears it she sometimes go to her. She doesnt' meow a lot so when she does it I either go to her and we have cuddles where she wants me to be or if Mia is on my lap and she doesn't go to Fay I assume is a locator request and I start talking to her till she comes over.

When Mia does it. Well she never really stops but if it's a different sound than usual I call to her and go find her.

Responsiveness is the key to running a 5 star kitty resort.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My fiance's dearly departed cat TC was mostly quiet. She would meow if she wanted to eat, but pretty much was a mute, which was why we didn't catch on that she was ill until it was too late. Chinchilla on the other hand is as vocal as she can be. She meows when she wants to eat, when she wants us to wake up, and when she wants Peanut to go away. After TC died and before Peanut arrived, she would make this heartbreaking yowl around the room, as if calling for TC :(

Peanut squeaks, but only when he wants to be let out of "baby jail", which is usually when we wake up.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Now Magneto, he is the talker. With a wide arsenal of meows, he runs my life each and every day...

"Reaaaar! Reaaar!" - FEED ME
"Rrrrrrrow!" - Let's play!
"Reh-eheheheheh" cackle sound he makes when being scolded
"Prrrew" - Move over I'm gonna lay on your pillow
"ROW?! ROW?!" - Yowling for his mom

There are many more. LOL
Bahahahaha! Ice is just like Nito :smile: he talks and talks and talks...sometimes deep siamese like yowls, some other times just meow and meow and meow (answering my questions like "what? are you ok? who's my white monster?") and he definitely does the Prrrrrew meaning "Move over I'm gonna lay on your pillow" or "I want mommy".
He also chatters when I sneeze.

Rulos answers to his name with a rwaaaaaaa! rwaaaaaaa!
Gatito is the trill master -I have forgotten how his meow sounds, now he does just trills.
Chikis is my quiet baby...only when food is coming he gets too anxious and gives me a meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! that sound more like a scream than a cat sound :p

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
the Prrrrrew meaning "Move over I'm gonna lay on your pillow" or "I want mommy".
:p
If it's throaty that's the noise my Meezer makes when greeting her stepsister and stepbrother. I think it means "Hi, how you doing? But watch it I'm tough".

·
Registered
25 Posts
My new kitten does this a lot! For some reason, every time she wakes up from a nap she panics a little and does this type of cry. Its like she forgets where she is for a second, or she thinks shes gonna wake up one day and I'll be gone. I always reply and when I do she immediately calms down. She does the same for me too, every single time I say "where's the baby kitty? Mroww?"' No matter what shes doing or where she is she starts meowing and running full speed to where I am.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts