Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was normal for cats to cough up hairballs? Is this different from vomiting? My cats cough up hairballs 1-2 a month, I have had them on Pro Plan Extra Care Hairball treatment dry cat food for sometime now and at first it was working like a charm however, for the past couple months they seem to still cough up hairballs. But I thought this was normal. They are strickly indoor cats too if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
One to two hairballs a month doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. I'm lucky that neither of my cats ever puke or cough anything up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maggie purposly eats hair and fuzz off the floor. I'm thinking that most of the hairballs come from her. But I'm not sure since they tend to be on the floor when I come home.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
An occasional hairball is okay; if it progresses past once a week, then you need to get a bit more concerned.

I don't recommend the dry hairball foods, though; they can cause constipation and a host of other problems including poor coat, dry skin, etc. because of the excessive fiber. And, as you've noticed, they typically only work for a while.

Of course, I don't recommend dry food at all for cats; see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
and other articles in our free library for more on cat nutrition.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts