Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days my little girl has been throwing up a lot. It started thursday morning when I got up and she had thrown up all of her dinner. After work that night she was very obviously not feeling well, and spent most of the night sleeping. I gave her some canned food and she wasnt really interested, so then I gave her some tuna (her favorite) and she licked the plate clean.
The next day she was acting like her normal self, but she was eating less than usual. That night she threw up but it was just liquid.
I had to go out of town for the weekend and got home to find multiple spots where she had thrown up yellow liquid. Gave her some canned food and she ate half of what I gave her. She is acting completely normal, and I've seen her drinking water. I havent noticed any difference in her box usage either.
I changed her diet in Dec to purina urinary care due to my male having a UTI, when I could tell she didnt like it much I grabbed a bag of some standard meat flavored purina and mixed them (I dont remember exactly which one) She seemed to like that better and has been eating that mix fine for the last month.
I'm just not sure at what point I need to take her in to see the vet. My cats do not do well going to the vet and I would prefer not to put her through it unless I absolutely have to.

Anyone have any ideas/advice? I want to do whats best for my baby girl. :(

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Did the vomiting start right after the switch to the new food? Was the switch done gradually? If it was done too fast, especially if it was dry food, the sudden change may have upset her stomach.

Or it's possible there's an ingredient in the new food that is not agreeing with her. Do you have any of her original food on hand? If so, I'd see if reintroducing that fixes the problem. If it does, then you may want to look at the ingredients of the new food and see what is in that which isn't in her old food. Anything new could be a potential culprit.

If you can get her to eat her original food without throwing up, and the vomiting/lack of appetite just seems solely related to one food and stops when that food is taken away, then I don't know if a vet trip is necessary. But if she's throwing up everything, refusing to eat, or acting lethargic/sick in other ways, then you should probably take her to the vet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didnt. I gradually switched their food back in December, then in late January I started mixing two kinds of purina and there has been no problems with her eating that until now.
I dont have any of the old food left, but I may go grab a little bag just to see if that helps.
She hasnt completely lost her appetite, shes just eating a little here and there where she is normally more of a "scarfer"

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hmm, so the vomiting suddenly happened with no correlation to any food changes? In that case, it may be a good idea to take her to a vet to be safe.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with saitenyo. Throwing up once or upon occasion is often nothing to warrant a vet visit, but if she's throwing up regularly and is not eating normally, I would think a vet visit is in order. I hope she's feeling better soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts