Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After 5.5 years of asking and begging, my wife has finally agreed to let me get a cat, with the caveat that we need to wait until 2-3 months after she gives birth to our first child. She's not pregnant yet.

My question is, what is the best time to get a cat around a pregnancy? Before, during, shortly after (2-3 months) or even longer - 6 months to a year? If there's a solid consensus that it's better to get it before, I may be able to push for it...

·
Super Moderator
26,397 Posts
Clearly, if it's up to your wife, you are never going to get a cat. After 5.5 years of asking/begging and there being NO compromise whatsoever, you can be sure there will be 100 more reasons not to get one when and if a baby arrives. That said, the first few months with a new baby is the worst possible time to introduce a cat into a household. You will both be so tired and sleep-deprived, it will just be one more thing piled on.

If you are ever going to push for it, get a cat now. It seems like you could use some friendly companionship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she finally understood what it meant to me to get a cat. She even drew up a contract and everything (cute little thing we've done in the past).

I definitely here you re it being the worst time - that was my initial thought as well. To me it made more sense to do it now or wait a year or more after having the baby, but I don't want to wait that long!

Thanks for the advice! Always happy to hear more viewpoints...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Get one now, but don't get a kitten. Get a mature cat, that is outgoing, laid back, loving, calm temperament, well trained to a litter box, with no known bad habits or health issues. You want a cat that will feel at home almost immediately and be friendly to all household members, human or otherwise. Check out the humane societies, or if you're into purebred cats, seek and visit several breeders....often they will have very well mannered show cats or ex-breeders that are retired and looking for a good home. Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
From the outside looking in...
I would hold off on a cat right now. Your child is forever and as cats are big on scents. I would wait until the child is a few months here and then MUTUALLY decide what cat to bring into your home. If your wife isn't keen on this why add to your worries? I know how it feels to want a cat, right now I wish I could get one but my living situation would not promote it. So I know how it feels. But sometimes animals react poorly when a new-born comes into the home. Wait several more months and it will be worth it for the WHOLE family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts