Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... So Andie has been doing something lately that is making me feel kinda bad for her. See, last week, the plumber came to my apartment, so check for leaky faucets and stuff. Well, the faucet in my tub had been leaking for about 2 months. I was getting used to it. And Andie developed a strong liking to sitting in the tub and drinking from it whenever she wanted. She would come prancing out of the bathroom several times a day with water on her chin, face and whiskers licking her lips. I was actually kinda happy b/c she was finally drinking a lot of water. Usually she ignores her water in her bowl... rarely drinking.
Now that it's fixed, she sits in the tub and stares at the faucet, and looks up at me if I go in there and gives me a glance like "Can you get that thing to drip again?" I feel bad, so if I am in there, I turn it ona bit for a few minutes for her to drink from. But I cant keep doing that, its driving me crazy. My mom says keep a bowl in the tub for her... that sounds odd. I think she likes the actual dripping water. Silly problem to have, but have any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree. I bought one of the Fresh Flow fountains for our kitties just before Thanksgiving last year and they love it. Although, for some reason, they love getting water out of the tub/shower still- so much that they'll wait until you get out the shower and immediately jump in. But the water fountain should make your cat happy. I recommend buying the large one if you have more than one cat because even with the large and my two cats I still have to fill the reservoir every day or so.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with buying a water fountain. I have a cat whom is addicted to water, at least with the fountain I kow she has a place to drink that she loves. However she still sits in the tub. She sits next to the sink, she sits and waights for us to flush the toilet and then she drinks the new water. Any and every time the water is turned on she runs to get a drink.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Another one agreeing! We have the Petmate Freshflow here too, and all our guys love it. It's very quiet, though, so if you want something with a dripping sound the Drinkwell would be a good choice as it splashes down. Mine are satisfied with just the moving water.

It's easy to clean and maintain, and the filters are cheap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess I would ask why you can't turn it on every once in a while while you're getting ready or something? We looked at those fountains, they're at least $50. To us it's much cheaper to let the faucet run a little bit a day! FOr example you could turn it on whlie doing your morning routine or something.

I don't know that's what I'd do--ours drips a teeny tiny bit and Peanut is always licking that off, but I also leave the faucet on a little extra time after brusing teeth, etc and she runs right to it.

It's working for us!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
PeanutsMom said:
We looked at those fountains, they're at least $50.
Yikes. Where on earth were you looking? I bought my deluxe online for $25, no shipping some time ago. Now they're in Walmart for the same price, Pet Club too (is only in No CA, I think). I've also seen it at Petco and Petsmart on sale a lot.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I paid about 25 dollars at my local pet store. I actually have two so while I clean one and let it dry I have a fresh one to put out. They need regular maintance since they tend to get a little cat hair in them from time to time. :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took everyone's advice and bought the PetMate Freshflow Fountain. I looked in PetSmart, but it was 50 dollars at the store. So, I ordered it off PetCo.com for $34.99, free shipping.
Should be here by Thursday. I am really hoping Andie will drink out of this. It could be the perfect solution to her constant desire for dripping water! I just wanna make sure she always has the water she wants, since she seems to be ignoring her water from her dish. She drinks it, but not as often as I'd hope she would.
My question is, how often does the filter need to be changed? Is it like the BRITA water filter? :oops: And also, does the water stay cold, or is it room temperature? You know how picky cats can be, I just want to make sure Andie likes it. She can be a little bratty at times, lol, which is a big reason why I love her so darn much!!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
PeanutsMom, I apologize! AndieCat just said she saw it at PetsMart for $50, so I must have only seen it on sale there!! Holy cow, that's steep.

YAY AndieCat! Can't wait to read how your cat reacts to it. Just watch, after all this she just ignores it :lol: No, no, I'm sure she'll love it.

Maintenance is easy. The filter bag says to change every 90 days. The water is room temp. I just use a sponge, bottle brush and dishwashing detergent to wash the whole thing. I do it every day, but that's just cause I have a lot of time on my hands.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, wish I knew about Petguys.com before I ordered it off of Petco! $23 is great! Oh well... its too late. It should arrive tomorrow I hope. As I speak Andie just came out of the tub and hopped onto my dresser to look out the window. She looks so funny with all the little water droplets all over her face.
I think she'll enjoy it. She is certainly nosey enough, so she will go check it out... I should know by tomorrow night if she is going to be grateful for my efforts! haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts