Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm an only occasional visitor here but hoping for some encouragement/insight. On Wednesday night, I noticed a round, maybe half-dollar size lump on my girl Mini's skin...it was just in front of her left leg but just sort of floating under the skin, not bonded to the leg. Didn't seem to be painful. I took her to the vet the next morning, and we found a small bump on the right side of her lower back, maybe a pea-sized thing.

Mini is four and a half. Our vet said since she's younger and the tumors were both just under the skin, he preferred to take them out and send them for histology than do a aspirate...his rationale being, it's a minor surgery and even if they come out looking harmless, at least we know for sure what they are and what to expect. Sx cost was reasonable, so we've done that and are sitting around waiting for the labs to come back in on Tuesday, and I'm starting to panic.

He thought the spot on her back was likely a granuloma from a vaccine, and wasn't real worried about that. The larger spot he said, came out with about 2/3 of it looking like fatty tissue, with an edge that was irregular and bumpy. He's pretty sure it'll all come back fine but obviously didn't want to say too much that sounded definite...which I understand...I just wish it been 100% fatty and he could be a little more sure.

Now we're home (Mini's doing fine, a little annoyed by her sutures but resting and eating just fine) and I'm Googling and scaring the crap out of myself, reading about vaccine carcinomas and mast cells and basal cell tumors and metastasizing and aaaaaah!!!!

I know there's nothing we can do until the labs come back, but I'm reading all these horror stories and fearing the worst--anyone have any stories like this that didn't turn out to be terrible??

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Sort of...

Callie had a bump on the top of her head. Took her to the vet and he said to just monitor it. A few months later it had become 3 bumps. The aspirated a sample and said it was benign, but that it should come out because it had the potential to become malignant. Had it removed and sent it for a full biopsy...came back as fibrosarcoma.

Of course I was googling and reading just like you and it scared the crap out of me. Everything said 6-12 months. I took her for a consultation at Tufts Veterinary school and they said that chemo wasn't effective for the tumor type and radiation probably wouldn't buy her more than another 3-6 months. Because of the side effects of the radiation (likely she would be blinded in one eye) and the stress of the treatment (100+ mile ride roundtrip daily for 6 weeks and she would have to be there all day)...I decided not to to put her through that for so little benefit. So I chose to just enjoy her for as long as I could.

3 years later it still hadn't returned and I lost her to something completely unrelated.

So take a deep breath and think positive thoughts....and stop googling! It sucks that these things always end up making us wait over a weekend for results. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
You're both absolutely correct that there's no point scaring yourself to death by Googling all of the worst case scenarios before you even know what you're dealing with. That said, in your place, I'd be doing exactly the same thing. Why do we torture ourselves so?

I am a bit confused about one thing, though. Why would your vet be administering vaccines in the lower back? I have never seen a vet administer any vaccine in that location. Sounds very odd to me.

Anyhow, just breathe deeply until Tuesday. I'm sending lots of "benign" thoughts your way.

Laurie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much--I'm trying to remind myself that the non-tragic stories rarely make it into case studies/Google and am officially giving up the mania. At least, for tonight. And, she is getting lots of kisses and cuddles in the meantime...whatever happens, she deserves them!

It's sort of to the right of the spine, maybe halfway across the body toward the hind leg...kinda hard to explain. The vets at my office seem to have switched the vaccine location from the shoulder blades to that area, and from the reading I did earlier I wondered if it wasn't because of that sarcoma issue--apparently when the issue was first recognized about a decade ago, it was because tumors were cropping up between the shoulder blades, where shots were usually given. Dunno.

Fortunately I finally found something that acknowledges that yes, a lot of times a pea-sized bump under the skin in this area is usually a granulosa rather than tumor, and since that was my vet's inclination I'm trying to focus on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to report that the vet has given us good news--both spots were cysts; the bumpy area on the fatty tumor appears to be dead tissue, and not cancer! Mini and I are dancing. Thanks to all for your encouragement!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.