Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave it down when your not play with it? I have the one that doesn't have feathers. It has 5-8 leather strands coming off a furry thing. He goes crazy over it. I use to put it on the coffee table until he was able to jump up and get it. Then I put it on the counter but now he can get if off there too. Now I put it in the closet. I was just wonder if anybody just leaves it down an let's their cats just drag it around.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh I let my cat drag hers everywhere, in fact she tore it apart and broke the plastic wand part, but it's still her favorite toy. :D

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I guess I'm the only over protective mom. I don't like leaving them alone with string (or wire). It worry someone will get a paw or tail or something wrapped in it and do permanent damage. Or chew the string off and eat it and cause internal damage.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I started to put them away, but they'll find some sneaky way to get to them. I just let them have it unless its brand new. they've torn the leather tassles off of one, now the tassles are a toy they like to carry around. I got a replacement tassle for the wand. They also pulled out mylar tassles from another one, leaving the rubber tip behind on the wand. Now that rubber thing is a favorite for them to chase. I think it looks like a bug to them and they go nuts chasing that, even more than when it had tassles. ;-) Lickorish likes to bring her toys, including the wands she steals, into her 'cat cube', and then plays with it in there. The wand has leverage and she's knocked the cube over with it many times and gets the strings all wrapped around the openings. Also poked some holes in the cube. I'm not too worried as the cube only cost $8 at Walgreens, but when I had it upstairs, one kitty ended up going for a ride down the stairs in it one night.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work graveyard and when I went to bed this morning I left it out. I put ear plugs in because the plastic wand was making a lot of noise on the wood floors. Laid there for an hour being worried that he was going to wrap the string around his neck or jump down from someplace and get poked with the stick and i wouldn't be able to hear him, so I got up and put it away.

·
Registered
594 Posts
F/3 just made me remember something my Mom told me about my niece's kitty, Garfield. Mom was home alone with Garfield and he managed to get the string wrapped tightly around his hind leg. Mom tried to remove it, but he was in so much pain he was fighting and biting her and she couldn't keep him still so she could undo the string. Fortunately my brother came home, and he held Garfield while Mom got the string off. So, I wouldn't leave them with the wand when you're not there to watch them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I only use wand toys under supervision, sometimes they are allowed to drag them around after our play session but they are always put away after that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well the wand toy I got Pinky doesn't have long strings, thank goodness. I'm not careless but sometimes you just can't watch them long enough.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I put mine on a the top of a tall cabinet that Milky can't reach. I only leave it around when Milky has just been playing with it and I need to do something urgent. But I go back to put it away afterwards. I don't think it's being over protective, just being careful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts