Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
a while ago I was thinking about getting a cat but I never did because I got a dog instead. Now I'm starting to think about a cat again, because I love cats! :) I have a couple of problems that I'd have to find a solution to if I were to be able to get a cat. The most important thing is my other pets. I have two guinea pigs and some mice. The mice obiously have a secure cage, but at the moment the pigs don't have a top to their cage. I could easily get one however. But would a cat be able to leave them alone and not bother them? I don't want the pigs to get stressed because of a cat laying on top of their cage watching them. My dog is great with the other pets so I assume he'd learn to be careful with a cat too.

I live in an appartment on the first floor. From the balcony to the ground its about a meter. I know it isn't far enough upp to deter a cat from leaping down, because another cat who live close by often sits there watching the birds :lol: . In the From about May to September the balcony door is open alot, and in the summer it has to be or its unbearably hot here because there isn't any airconditioning. So just keeping it closed isn't an option. Is it possible to train a cat not to go out? If not I see only three options. Either to teather (sp?) the cat while the door is open, or let it be partly an outdoor cat, or to not get a cat.

I'm a bit leary of the first option because it might be quite alot and I'm not sure how good that would be.
The second option I'm even more doubtful towards. I don't live in the downtown part of the city, across the road theres a woods and fields, and theres a big grassy lawn and playground right outside. But the point is that there IS a road, even if its not busy. I have seen lots of cats that are allowed outside and cope fine (including the one who sits on my balcony) but I'm scared that something would happen to him/her and I'd never know...
The third option of not getting a cat isn't something I like either. I want a cat! :lol: But if I couldn't take proper care of one it wouldn't be any fun so that might be the only option that works.
What do think? Are the other things that might work that I haven't thought of? Is there any way to make this work?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nea, as getting a cat goes, personally I do not believe that most on this forum would approve of a cat being let outside. They get into trouble when they are allowed to go outside; dogs, kids, traffic, and other cats, not to mention any sickness they may get. Also, most cats do not like to be teathered, or tied down like a dog. Do you have a screen door on the front door? I do not know about Sweden, but in America, nearly all home's front doors have a screen door at the entrance. They keep out bugs, also, you can place an electric fan in front of a screen door or in a window with a screen on it, in order to keep your house a little cooler in the summer months. This is what I do here, in Kansas. It sounds like you have a menagerie of pets. With rodents as pets, I wouldn't get a cat, that is, if you want to keep them safe, IMO. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying! :) I'm not ready to give up on the idea of a cat just yet, I want to do a little more research first. :wink: I'm going to have to look in to a screen door. They aren't common here but I'm sure its not impossible to find. Or if they aren't sold it shouldn't be to hart to make one... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts