Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I wasn't sure where to put it. (I get away scott-free the first time because Im a noob here, right? xD)

Okay, so I know cats like 'mouse temperature' food and Grimalkin made that very apparent when I tried to give him food straight out of the fridge "What is THIS mommy, HMM?" but I wasn't sure of the best way to warm it up.

Sometimes I have a hectic schedule where I am basically feeding him before leaving for work, so I don't have time to leave it sitting out to thaw (besides in his bowl, but then he's grumpy) so whats the best way to warm it up?

I tried microwaving it once, but left it in there too long and it looked kinda funky o__O and he didnt really like that, so currently I'm chopping it up with a spoon and adding teaspoons of hot water to it.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My cats will eat canned straight out of the fridge but won't touch raw cold (weird, I know), so what I do is put it in a ziploc baggy and stick it in a bowl of warm water. It tends to warm up to a reasonable temperature within a few minutes. On work mornings I just plop the baggy in the bowl first thing, right after I get up and then by the time I'm out of the shower, it's ready.

Also, since you said thaw, is whatever you're feeding being frozen at some point? In that case, the warming in water may not do the trick when it's still frozen, since it takes longer to actually thaw something frozen. If it's raw food, you can just let it thaw in the fridge overnight or even a day or two before. Raw meat should be good in the fridge for a few days. Once it's defrosted, then you can do the baggy/water bowl method to warm it up.

If it's canned, then you don't need to worry about freezing it. Refrigerating canned food is totally fine. I stick one of those can covers on the can and it stays good for several days.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I shouldn't have said thaw, that was bad wording on my part, the canned food is just chilled in the fridge. (Also, I cant seem to be able to edit my entries in the Health forum, but I can in the Cat Chat forum.. strange...)

Anywho, thanks Saitenyo for the bowl idea! I never would have thought of that ^^

·
Registered
154 Posts
If its a new can you could just leave it out overnight or leave it in a cupboard. I rarely have cat food in my fridge as my cats will happily eat a full can between them each meal lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
We microwave canned food on a plate spread out for 8 seconds. Seems to do the trick. Started with 10, but that was too long. Apparently that 2 seconds makes a big difference...haha

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yea, I shouldn't have said thaw, that was bad wording on my part, the canned food is just chilled in the fridge. (Also, I cant seem to be able to edit my entries in the Health forum, but I can in the Cat Chat forum.. strange...)

Anywho, thanks Saitenyo for the bowl idea! I never would have thought of that ^^
No problem, I got the idea from some of the other members here. :)

And the forum has an editing time limit so that's probably why you couldn't edit just now but could on a different thread. If it's past 5 minutes (I think? a mod can confirm or correct me on this for you) editing is locked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts