Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another reminder than the internet can be dangerous:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/ ... 7928.shtml

Aside from the girls mentioned in the article, there are at least two murdered teen girls in other states whose deaths may be linked to people they met on myspace. I'm trying to find the article I read that in, so I'll post it here when I do.

Be careful out there...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting. And when you try and report them, all they do is delete the profile but before its even deleted there's a new one up. It really makes me wonder what their parents are doing while they are online. Until I was 18 I was not allowed to be online without my mom in the room. She wasn't snooping but she was making sure that I didn't wander anywhere I shouldn't be.

Now granted the male idiots that choose to talk to the girls through myspace do deserve some sortof punishment, but the girls need a form of punishment too. There are predators out there and plain and simple idiots. Everyone should know the difference between them and these girls parading around half naked should be stopped too.

k..sorry that was just my two cents-I do not condone the violence that was in the link, I'm just trying to show that there are two sides.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
These kids need parental supervision. Yeah, the kids are being complete idiots, but I don't think they can fully appreciate the danger out there. Society tells them that sixteen-year-olds are sexy, and while they might - in some small way - know better, they're just following suit.

These kids need to be taught in the firmest way possible, and parents need to step up to the plate. We've known about online predators for a decade now. There's absolutely no excuse anymore for not being vigilant.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
lunarbishop said:
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting.
I'm sad to say that my little sister fits in this category. *shakes head in shame*

How do you report the pages? I'll go report hers.

And I HATE myspace -- there is TOO much information those kids put on there. If someone wanted to find my sister and hurt her, they could, very easily. I've tried to get it taken down but no luck.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Crystal and I have had many discussions about this. The only thing that it benefits is staying in contact with friends. Too bad everyone uses it as an online personal. It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
179 Posts
lunarbishop said:
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting. And when you try and report them, all they do is delete the profile but before its even deleted there's a new one up. It really makes me wonder what their parents are doing while they are online. Until I was 18 I was not allowed to be online without my mom in the room. She wasn't snooping but she was making sure that I didn't wander anywhere I shouldn't be.

Now granted the male idiots that choose to talk to the girls through myspace do deserve some sortof punishment, but the girls need a form of punishment too. There are predators out there and plain and simple idiots. Everyone should know the difference between them and these girls parading around half naked should be stopped too.

k..sorry that was just my two cents-I do not condone the violence that was in the link, I'm just trying to show that there are two sides.
This resembles the "she deserved to get raped b/c of what she was wearing" argument. Yes, young people should take better precautions. As Aphrodeia states, though, young people, women in particular, get very clear messages though about what and how they should dress and act in order to be cool and to fit in. Peer pressure is unbelievable. It is absolutely an epidemic in our culture. Nobody asks to be abducted and raped based on their myspace profile no matter how risque it looks. Yes, their parents should do a better job of controlling it but how many of YOUR parents know what myspace is? My mom doesn't and she is a pretty hip mom when it comes to these things.

PLEASE stop placing blame on the victims and keep it where it belongs: on the perpretators of crimes.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Of course we shouldn't "blame" the victim. However, if I saw a child in a dangerous situation, I think it's my duty as a mother and a teacher to help that child to get out of it. The middle school students don't think in an adult way. They're in the most confusing time of their lives. They make bad choices that could and do give predators the wrong impression. They want to give the impression that they are older and sexy.

I remember that when my mother warned me about walking down dark streets alone, I'd say, in that condescending tone young people often use, "Oh, Mom!!!" We know that young people believe they are invulnerable. That's why I think parents should supervise the use of computers.

In addition, I hope there will be a way to lock out some sites (if there isn't, already), as there is on cable tv. My kids are out of the nest now, so I might be behind the times, as far as that type of technology is concerned. Come to think of it, there is. Businesses lock out IM and games now.

I would also make my daughter change if she was dressed inappropriately. Old fashioned or not, I'd rather have a safe child, even if I had to put some restrictions on her privileges. We know they're not safe; they're sure they are!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Jeanie said:
I would also make my daughter change if she was dressed inappropriately. Old fashioned or not, I'd rather have a safe child, even if I had to put some restrictions on her privileges.
I would do likewise.

Too many people take the stance of: "Oh, they'll do it anyway, and I did that when I was a kid, so where's the harm?" The point isn't that kids always listen to parents. The point is that it is the parents' job to make these guidelines known. Sure, some kids will sneak a change of clothes to school - I did. But my mother was instrumental in reminding me of these boundaries, even if I chose to violate them anyway.

Very, very important stuff.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Shengmei, you may not see the allure of it but hundreds of thousands of people do. Don't you have younger sisters? Ask them if they are on it.

Jeanie, your IP provider can help you lock out sites like myspace.

There is nothing wrong with people using myspace as a "personals" place btw, as long as it's between consenting adults who have the same parameters around the relationship.

The intent of myspace is NOT a bad one. It's a place in cyberspace for folks to touch base with their friends and to get to know other people. There is NOTHING wrong with that. It's when its original intent is perverted by, well, perverts that it becomes a problem. Those people should not stop the other masses from enjoying it.

I have a myspace page as does my husband as do many of our friends. We have a great time connecting with each other during the day and throughout our work week. My DH has been able to find some old high school and college friends through myspace and I've been able to get to know them this way.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
mdmenagerie said:
I have a myspace page as does my husband as do many of our friends. We have a great time connecting with each other during the day and throughout our work week. My DH has been able to find some old high school and college friends through myspace and I've been able to get to know them this way.
See, and that's a good way to use it....you are the type of person who I don't hate that uses that site. The people I dislike, however, are the people like my sister who take pictures of themselves in their bras and post the pictures on there...little 16 year old girls taking pictures like that is NOT appropriate. I've seen the content on my sister's myspace, things people say to her and stuff, and that's not appropriate either. Using it as a personals place for adults is fine -- but what about the girls my sister's age that are using it for the same thing, in a much worse way?

They should be shutting down this behavior for people under 18.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Also remember the danger on the internet is not just pedophiles. There have been plenty of adults that have developed online "relationships" with people that have had very bad endings.
I personally don't see the allure of my space either. As for keeping in touch with friends, isn't that what email is for????

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah....Aaron has one and uses his appropriately.....but my little sister also has one and it worries me GREATLY. :( My best friend also has one and has actually MET A GUY FOR A DATE that she met on there......luckily nothing happened to her, but he DID turn out to be a complete jerk....and married. 8O :? She told me this after the fact....so at the time she met him, nobody knew who she was meeting, or where, or anything.......stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the fact that it's myspace seems to be latched on to, but what about the other 'harmless' sites? On the boards of Neopets I always see titles like "Anyone who goes to <insert school> in <insert city/state> come here! I'm <insert A/S>"

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a myspace account and some of things said kind of offend me a little. I originally started my account because a bunch of friends at work had accounts. That was when I was in Florida. It became a good way for me to stay in contact with my friends in Michigan. Now that I am in Michigan it is a good way for me to stay in touch with my friends in Florida. I think it is an interesting site and is not an "online dating" site. There are alot of different forums on there, classifieds (stuff for sale, jobs, etc.) It is a way for my friends to read about new things in my life and maybe meet friends of mine through there. I rarely add people I do not know personally. Occasionally I do. I have never met anyone anyplace that I met on this site or the internet ANYWHERE. There are all kinds of dangers and ways things could go wrong through the internet, not just myspace. I don't think it is appropriate fro young girls/boys to have accounts....that's just me, their parents may feel differently.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jennifer2 said:
Also remember the danger on the internet is not just pedophiles. There have been plenty of adults that have developed online "relationships" with people that have had very bad endings.
I personally don't see the allure of my space either. As for keeping in touch with friends, isn't that what email is for????
You don't have the network factor or the ability to upload pictures. Myspace basically allows people to have mini webpages that you can connect to. You also can broadcast messages, search for folks you have lost contact with, and keep a blog for your friends; none of these things are available via an email service. If email works for you, that's cool but if you want more then myspace is a good alternative. Yes there are dangerous people in myspace just as there are dangerous people living in your town; learning about personal safety should be a priority for everyone.

Personally I think myspace grew faster than the folks ever imagined it would. Hopefully it WILL learn to monitor itself and start to filter out the pages we are talking about. I can't imagine it wants to be known as a place where 16-year old girls meet dangerous predators. Unfortunately as soon as filters are put into place, people know how to break them which reverts back to the argument of parental control.

Last night at the Superbowl party I was at, one of my friends, who is an 8th grade teacher, told me they had an in-service meeting about myspace. They were told to be on the lookout on the public terminals for usage by the students and to be wary of the pages that were being created. Even the schools are getting involved it seems.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Cassandra said:
the fact that it's myspace seems to be latched on to, but what about the other 'harmless' sites? On the boards of Neopets I always see titles like "Anyone who goes to <insert school> in <insert city/state> come here! I'm <insert A/S>"
Yeah, my little sister was a member of Neopets for one day when she stumbled across that kind of stuff 8O She's 11, and there's no way she'll be unsupervised on a site like that anytime soon :dis

I, too, use Myspace to connect with friends, especially those who far away. But that's all I use it for, and I do worry about some of my friends who take it a lot further :(

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
mdmenagerie said:
Last night at the Superbowl party I was at, one of my friends, who is an 8th grade teacher, told me they had an in-service meeting about myspace. They were told to be on the lookout on the public terminals for usage by the students and to be wary of the pages that were being created. Even the schools are getting involved it seems.
I was watching a thing about it on the news and there's one or two schools in Vermont that will suspend any student with a myspace page because they don't want their students exposed to that kind of thing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts