Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The show featured tiger fights! It's amazing how big cats and our cats are alike! They're not really out to kill each other, most of the fight is rolling around tumbling over each other, and trying to stare each other down. 'One can easily see I'M the rough, tough ferocious beast of these parts!' 'Fiddlesticks!' Occasionally a male will be seriously wounded or killed, though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw a Nature episode in the early 90s where they showed similar behavior between house cats and big cats. They'll move in a crouch to get into position to attack and then rush their prey. Both will patrol their territory. Some cats will regularly go from room to room making sure everything is normal.

What's amazing to me is how a cat is essentially a wild animal that we tame as kittens. And unlike bears or big cats, they don't become dangerous to us as adults.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I recall watching a youtube clip and watching some big cats go crazy over catnip like our domestic felines do. It was hilarious seeing them roll around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love watching how our cats are similar to big cats. I remember watching a show a long time ago that compared the behavior. It's amazing how similar they are. I remember seeing two tigers in the Bronx Zoo. They have large outdoor enclosures and in the part that house tigers, you ride on top in a monorail and watch them. One tiger was washing itself - just like a regular house cat. The other one was rolling. It was just so funny.

I am even more fascinated with small wildcats. I've been watching many wildcat videos, they are so amazing. The black-footed cat is tiny, and it's so fearless and ferocious. Then, European and Scottish wildcats, they just look like slightly larger tabbies, most of us wouldn't tell the difference, and behave in such a similar way - aside from the fact that they are solitary, and yet they are fiercer and less tameable than tigers.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Many times I think of my cats as a tamed wild animal and maybe not so tamed as my male easily give me bites when he doesn't like what I am doing. If you have indoor/outdoor cats, it is a lot more obvious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dream is to go work at Kevin Richardson's Kingdom in Africa (lion whisperer) and go visit Jackson Looseya, from Big Cat Diary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts