Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all :)

We gave Marsh a bath today, we were doing house cleaning for the past few days, window washing, you name it, and he got pretty dirty - he loves to be right in the middle of the action, he's like a dog, always on my heels. Which means instead of his pearly white, he's almost yucky yellow :p... YES, yucky yellow :p

Anyway, here's the real issue. Everytime we wash him, he seems to sulk for good 12 hours. He comes around by the end of the day, and starts purring again and sleeps with me at night as usual, but i just HATE the time right after the bath. It's like he's saying - Marina, WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME??? WHY? ... it's heartbreaking :(

OR.. am I just a worry wart and should just let the cat relax over the 'traumatic' experience he just went though, instead of expecting a miracle of him loving me after the procedure??? :lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
have you tried playing with him or giving him treats after he's been dried off? maybe that'll be one way to get him to love you more quickly...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aww poor Marsh!
and... Poor Mash's caretaker who has to suffer for 12 hours after each bath! That would upset me too. :(

I have to bathe my Windslow every so often too.
I have found a treat that he LOVE love loves , so I keep some in the cupboard [be]just[/be] for those special after-bath-time-occasions when I want him to love me again! He rarely gets this type of treat, so it keeps it a very special yummy treat for him.
The treats do the trick with my cat, and perhaps in time as Marsh gets older and has more baths under his belt, he'll become more accustomed to being bathed and he will be less traumatized by the whole experience.
Lets hope so at least!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem i found with bob was that if you put him "into water" hed cry and be all nervous however if i put him in the bath then "add the water" while distracting him by playing with toys he dosent seem to mind

Richard

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I think the special treat is a good idea. My Collie used to hate being groomed (especiallly the feathering!), so I made sure he got extra dog biscuits when the job was done. At least part of the experience was pleasant.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard-Hawk said:
The problem i found with bob was that if you put him "into water" hed cry and be all nervous however if i put him in the bath then "add the water" while distracting him by playing with toys he dosent seem to mind

Richard
sounds intersting... i may try this, because just as you've experienced, Marsh will cry the most when being dipped into the sink, and then will quiet down.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's funny because I had more success doing it he opposite way.
If I added the water while they are in there, it did not have a good effect.

I just fill the sink and use a cup to totally soak them, this way they don't feel like I'm just grabbing them and dunking them (not their heads of course).

·
Registered
237 Posts
what i usually do is put them over the sink, then have big bowls full of water on-hand to wet them with... they'd freak out if i put them directly into water.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Jinx hates baths too, I found it easier to use the tub than the sink, it gives him a little room to move and doesn't get as messy, he's been much better about it since I started using the tub. Afterwards, he'd get sulky too, I give him a treat, dry him as well as possible with a towel (the blowdrying was way too traumatic), give another treat and let him out of the bathroom. Then I go wherever he chooses and just sit on the floor near him. He'll glare for a few minutes, but usually he comes over and gets right in my lap. If I let him just go off by himself, he'd be sulky too. I just stay near him but don't force the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts